Where do I get firewood?

hiagain

I've checked b & q, supermarkets and small shops, butchers. I don't really know where you buy firewood. I know it's a daft question. I'm in Galway city.

Hi,

I don't live in Galway, but where I am from, the local paper usually has the odd add or two from farmers etc looking to offload some firewood, try your local paper.

Alternatively, i just did a google and this came up.....

Is this a wind-up or are you celebrating Christmas early? Do you want to change your user name to bewildered_in_the_wesht?

Try a fuel merchant (AKA coal-man), farmer, filling station, etc. Look for ads in the local free sheets as well as the local main newspapers. LIDL/ALDI had bundles of logs, but they seemed expensive and decorative rather than functional fuel.

You'll need a fire-place to burn the firewood; it can't be fed into a central-heating system. :D

I know a Tree Surgeon / Landscaper that sells and delivers firewood to Galway, Mayo and Roscommon.

Please PM me if you want contact details.

Hi Hiagain..on a serious note my only advice is to avoid the very light type of blocks usually sold in garages which literally go up the chimney like fire lighters.

If they haven't got it in your b & q - you could always try another BRANCH!!! lol

I must be missing the joke here. I've never lived in the city centre and had a fireplace, that's all and I don't think Galway city council would be too pleased with me chopping down their trees. We all have to start somewhere.

Thanks for your help. I'll check the galway advertiser. The trouble is that I only have an apartment so can't store a lot.

I must be missing the joke here. I've never lived in the city centre and had a fireplace, that's all and I don't think Galway city council would be too pleased with me chopping down their trees. We all have to start somewhere.

Thanks for your help. I'll check the galway advertiser. The trouble is that I only have an apartment so can't store a lot.

You should be looking for seasoned wood if you can't store and dry the wood yourself. Burning wet logs with a high moisture content is inefficient , bad for your chimney and can more easily lead to chimney fires because of the build up of creosote. The build up of creosote is directly related to the moisture content of the wood, you can't eliminate it but burning seasoned wood will keep it to a minimum.

You should be looking for seasoned wood if you can't store and dry the wood yourself. Burning wet logs with a high moisture content is inefficient , bad for your chimney and can more easily lead to chimney fires because of the build up of creosote. The build up of creosote is directly related to the moisture content of the wood, you can't eliminate it but burning seasoned wood will keep it to a minimum.

Thanks for the addice demoivre

In the last year i've noticed many more people selling firweood.It seems that anyone with a trailer is doing it! :)

Look in your local paper, there will be loads of them. Although as prevoius posters mentioned, seasoned wood is best so you should maybe try to get a personal recommendation.
why don't you approach other people in your building and maybe you could get a good deal from a supplier.

Can anyone recommed the best way to store firewood?
i've got a giant wooden box out the garden that i filled with wood some months back, looked in yesterday and the wood is pretty damp still so i'm wondering if i need to drill some holes to get air flowing?

Back