Where did the term "Ginger" come from when referring to people with red/ foxy hair?

Re: Where did the term "Ginger" come from when referring to people with red/ foxy hai

Dunno. But my husband was a red head nicknamed "Rusty" before he started going salt'n'peppa. Now he's more platinum. Should I up the insurance policy?:)

Re: Where did the term "Ginger" come from when referring to people with red/ foxy hai

The world has gone PC mad

The world has gone PC mad

I totally agree, but it would be nice to know the official term when describing somebody with red/orange/rusty coloured hair for fear of insluting them. I think Rusty is nice by the way.

Don't see that there would be a problem with "red" (inaccurate though it may be).

People with "the hair colouring referred to in this thread" :rolleyes: seem to regularly refer to themselves as "redheads", particularly women.

Sparks might fly

boom boom

Person with "red" hair is PC enough. I have red hair. I'm not particularly bothered about being described as having ginger hair, but being described as "a ginger" does pee me off.

hey mathepac, thanx for correction, the spelling slips from time to time when english's not your mother tongue :D
Pas de problem mon ami, but the blond / blonde thing is actually French. ;)

Strawberry-blonde is fab.

Can't help wondering who she thinks she's fooling though as what happens if/when she disrobes?
That would be the opposite of a "Shirley Bassey", wouldn't it?

Irish New Year's Traditons:
"Who would be the first person to pass over the threshold of your home in the New Year? If it was a tall dark and handsome man it was said to bring luck, but how they prayed that it wouldn't be a young red haired girl who'd bring nothing but hardship and grief!"

I don't know about red-haired girls, but Red headed women are all good.

How can something be 'too English' ?

Easy, Boxing day as one example.

I'm a red head and have been lucky enough to work all over the world.

In Asia, people would stop on the street and point at me.

In Ireland and Europe in General people didn't care.

In Oz, a red head is called "Bluey"

England is the place with the worse hang up, now don't get me wrong. I have never been victimized because of it, I wouldn't be the type to get bullied.

Two things stick out.

One winter I was in a shop in a queue, I was wearing a wool hat. There was a pregnant women infront of me, she was talking to her mate. They were talking about how things were going, when the pregnant women came out with, " I don't mind aslong as it's not a ginger"

Standing directly behind her, I had to ask. Would a severe disablity not be worse? she face went as red as my hair. Bet she thought twice about saying something so silly next time.

Other time was in a bar in London, I was at the counter ordering a last drink, when a big black man, shouted "Oh Ginger, it's my turn" or something similar. I turned said to him. "Do you think it would be appropriate for me to comment on your colouring? What makes you think it's appropriate to comment on mine?" or something similar, I had been drinking.

As he made his way toward me, it struck me how large this guy was. I thought "oh God, I'm going to die :eek:" he came over shook my hand and paid for my drink, result.

It's not about being PC, it's about using a word in a derogatory manner/tone.

did you notice most new mothers who's babies are born with Red hair refer to colouring as "Strawberry-blonde"! GAS! I love this! my sister did this haha! I was like its red but its gorgeous. Sure I have been referred to as yellow skinned? Yellow? Because I am sallow (sp?) i.e WHITE with a all round tan tan hahaha!!! I was slagged as a kid for yrs!!!!!!!

EI have never been victimized because of it, I wouldn't be the type to get bullied.
Sorry to go slightly off-topic, but there is no 'type' that gets bullied.

BTW, 'foxy' is a new one on me - never heard it before. Is it a Dublin thing?

Foxy is definitely used in other areas of the pale too.

The term "foxy" is very common in Cork and Kerry.

The Jimmy Crowley song "Salonika" which dates at least to WWI references "a kid with a foxy head".

I have only heard the term "ginger" on trashy english tv shows and english tabloids.

Back