Where can I buy individual commodities?

smiley

Hi folks...does anybody know where I can purchase individual commodities (e.g high grade copper, platinum, robusta coffee)....??

At the moment there are no ETF's in these products,so you are left with spreadbetting maybe,or futures trading through a broker

Avoid spreadbetters imo ( they have often been discussed here before if you do a search ) Shop around for futures brokers - the commission rates and margin requirements can vary considerably between brokers. I use Interactive Brokers myself and have done so for several years without any problems.

At the moment there are no ETF's in these products,so you are left with spreadbetting maybe,or futures trading through a broker

There are similar products called ETCs (exchange traded commodities). I've never traded them so couldn't tell you a thing about them, but the LSE lists them.

thanks for all your help so far....i never really warmed to the spread betting idea...must look into etc's though and interactive brokers....

oh great..just saw that LSE list..thanks hmmmm....thats exactly what i am looking for.

You could also buy a structured product that gives you exposure to a basket of commodities, while protecting you initial capital. Downside is you capital is tied up for up to 5 years. You can get 100% exposure & 100& participation depending on the mix of the underlying commodities.

as i thought..the difference between the bid and offer price seems to be high on these ETC's....oh well thats life.

Well maybe look at the London Metal Exchange and Euronext.liffe sites. Most trading isn't done directly obviously as no-one actually wants to receive a warehouse full of wheat to their door, it's all options trading where you never take delivery of the product.

There were a few tons of copper stolen from little island in cork recently.:(
If you come across anyone selling copper from the back of a van,be sure to negotiate a big discount!:rolleyes:

Avoid spreadbetters imo ( they have often been discussed here before if you do a search ) Shop around for futures brokers - the commission rates and margin requirements can vary considerably between brokers. I use Interactive Brokers myself and have done so for several years without any problems.

Hi Demoivre,

Do they take Irish Residents? and also is it s/w program that you have to download to use your a/c

Back