When will Hotels in Ireland cop on..

seen the discover Ireland campaign so went to their website...

For a a real giggle go to the 'special offer' link. There is even an 'offer' of 1 night in cavan for 240pps. (Dinner and treatments included of course)
How could I pass you ask?? Well I think I could go a bit more and get a small house in cavan nowadays for that.

For a autumn nights stay all roads dont lead to cavan. Glad to see the Celtic tiger is alive and well.. if only in some people's heads.

That discover Ireland crowd should be a bit more proactive with all this and bring some realism to these establishments, no? instead of expensive add campaigns touting value where the opposite is the case. What must foreigners think when they see this.

I think the Missus is going to have to make do with a weekend in Madrid for her birthday. I'll be in the dog house.

seen the discover Ireland campaign so went to their website...

For a a real giggle go to the 'special offer' link. There is even an 'offer' of 1 night in cavan for 240pps. (Dinner and treatments included of course)
How could I pass you ask?? Well I think I could go a bit more and get a small house in cavan nowadays for that.

But , but sir , you can always use the € 50 voucher .........sure did'nt they send one to every houshold in Ireland ?

take her to Edinburgh, I priced it for the first weekend in Dec and flights and acc was €135 each, my friend is going there in Feb and got it for €170, this country is a rip off always was and always will be!

Food not so great? What, in the whole of the UK? :confused: Compared to what, or where? What an odd comment.....

i have stayed in the Uk every December with work and i agree the food in the Uk is not great, stayed in different hotels each time and i think the standard is not the same as our own, pub grub not great either in comparison to our own..did go to a few nice restaurants though that were fine.

You've stayed in every town and city in the UK and can obectively say that we have better food here? Because we are brimming over with michelin stars and some of the finest multi-cultural food in the entire world??

Jaybird I never said anything at all about Irish food. I just mentioned that the food in the UK is not very nice to put it mildly. I have dined in many multicultural establishments in many countries and UK food just isn't up there in glittering lights. You think differently fair enough.

have to say we recently took a supervalue break for 3 nights in a 3 star hotel in Wexford when the weather was sunny a few weeks back, 3 nights for 2 adults and a toddler, 3 breakfasts and dinners worked out at €290 in total. It was nothing too fancy but given that we were spending the days on the strand what more do you need?

thinking of a grown up only break now, you can get 2 nights in Faithleg in Waterford for example, with 2 breakfas and one dinner for €218, that's less then €55 per person per night

Bargains out there, you just need to go looking for them

Personally I don't think Ireland has anything that matches up to The fat duck, Nobu, St John etc. And at the other end of the scale you still can't get a really good curry in this country. But each to their own, at the end of the day.

Ok I realise now that you were responding to the previous poster.

I will say this though, if you judge the UK by how it does a curry I think that says it all. Yech. Personal opinion of course. And thank goodness the Irish don't do curries. It's bad enough but we can't have that debate without an explosion on here. Bring it on.

Seriously, its a matter of personal taste and all, but to assert that as a whole Ireland has a better standard of food than the UK, taking into account the overpriced, underwhelming restaurants we have with poor service and untrained chefs......

Yes, I aggree with them and I dissagree with your generalities. I do access that the food is of a far better standard here than the UK which funny enough I find overpriced (especially London) underwhelming with bad service with suspect hygene. I do enjoy a BSC Burger outside the Emirates Stadium with a pint with no head on it much more than bangers and mash ala Jamie Oliver, priced £20 because they put some Rosemary through it . Bubble and fried egg sandwiches will never quiet be quisine.
My personal taste is for good food, not celebrity chef culture. Ireland is not france but you probably may not rate the food their either.
Enjoy your currie

have to say we recently took a supervalue break for 3 nights in a 3 star hotel in Wexford when the weather was sunny a few weeks back, 3 nights for 2 adults and a toddler, 3 breakfasts and dinners worked out at €290 in total. It was nothing too fancy but given that we were spending the days on the strand what more do you need?

thinking of a grown up only break now, you can get 2 nights in Faithleg in Waterford for example, with 2 breakfas and one dinner for €218, that's less then €55 per person per night

Bargains out there, you just need to go looking for them

I was put off by the reviews of Faithleg on Tripadvisor.

This weekend I'm staying in the Riverside hotel 4 , Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford 2 nights 2 B&B 1 e-mail, 4 star works out at 100 per person in total.

Recently stayed in Days hotel on Waterford Quay, also 4 star but not great quality. 50 per person per night, 1 free meal included.

I think both are reasonabley priced, wouldn't call it a rip off anyway.

On the side issue, I agree with pub and hotel food not being up to scratch in the U.K. I think its the fact most are centrally controlled super chains.

Regency Hotel Dublin always have good offers on,i have been staying there for years now,hard to beat for value

I recd an e mail yesterday from central reservations for farmleigh hotel in cavan (5 star ) for two nights bb and evening meal and use of spa for 100 euros each....check that one out...the grounds are meant to be fantastic

What is this fascination in Ireland with pricing for B&B, dinner included and sometimes PPS?

I travel all over the world and nearly always the hotel charges for a room for a night. If I want breakfast or an evening meal, I have it and it gets added to my bill which is then paid on checkout.

I've always found that weeding guest pay more at the 'special wedding an they could haggle off over the phone if they were booking individually.

"What is this fascination in Ireland with pricing for B&B, dinner included and sometimes PPS?"

Its to get you to eat there. The money is to be made in the accompanying drinks if you wont have if you go else where. Some specials deals dont even include coffee and many have a lesser menu.

Folks - you have to learn how to handle hotel reservations.
Best deals over the phone.
Poor deals on the net or by email.
Knock down deals if within the last couple of days and there is ample vaccancy.
Aim for the cheapest room and ask for the upgrade to be complimentry towards the end of the conversation after wearing out the clerk.
Keep it charming and convivial.
Pay a bit extra for the special place and dont compare apples with oranges.

If you are a first timer use that as a reason to introduce you to the hotel.
If you are not use that also - they should reward you for return custom .

Mpsox, what was the name of the place in Wexford??

Denyby Court hotel, to be honest, I'd only stay there if I wanted a base and was looking to tour around, it doesn't have a whole lot of facilities, but it was fine for us as we were spending our days on the beach. Staff were lovely I have to say

farnham est Cavan Was there 2 wkends ago €200.00 pp b&b and one dinner , they do discount spa offers daily . 2 pools steam rooms etc . Had a fantastic time food was fantastic and staff were great . If booking do call as they offer a better deal

Back