When to stop paying Maintenance!

lyonsie

Daughter is in College. Finished nursing, out doing placement. Will have final results in July, but not having Graduation until December. When can I stop paying maintenance to her mother for my daughters benefit. If she decides to further her nursing career I would give the maintenance directly to her instead. "The decision of the Judge is such, that I am only obliged to make the maintenance payment for as long as the children are dependant. Once daughter qualifies, she no longer is in full time education and therefore you no longer have to make maintenance payments there".
As it is, she (daughter), has had more of a disposable income than myself. She is getting paid for placement full-time.

Any information on this please.

Since your daughter has a full time placement and is being paid for this, i would think you should stop now. If she does continue her education, and still lives at home by law you could be made to pay maintenance untill she is 24 years old, but i dont think that happens very often.

Do you know what she is receiving for her placement? Do you know if she is giving any money to her mum? Or does her mum give the maintenence to her.

Maintenance payable to your (ex-)wife is tax-deductible from your own income and taxable in her hands.

Manitenance payable to children is non-deductible.

Is there anyway, at the very least to pay the money to your wife for her and for her to do what she wants (maybe incl. upkeep of your daughter?), instead of dorectly to /for your daughter - you'd save a small bit.

I have been paying maintenance to ex, but it is divided in 3 parts, (a) for ex and (b&c) for daughters, but it all goes to ex. The amount for (a) is very little, 100euro per month, would I get much back in the way of tax?
Anyone out there know how much student nurse's get in placement. I would not be told even if I asked!!!!! But I am led to believe it is about half a qualified nurse's pay... I could be way out.

Lyonsie, if you haven't been claiming the tax relief on the spousal maintenance you can do so now, am open to correction but I'm pretty sure you can back date this.

Re child maintenance, you are obliged to pay it until 18 or 23 if child is in full-time education; you'll have to apply for a variation if you want child's income to be included in assessment of maintenance amount.

Applying for a variation isn't that big a deal, you can make the application yourself.

Thanks, but it is coming to an end and I will not be upsetting the 'apple cart', I havn't done so yet so am not going to.
If it's this month, next month or December it is a lot nearer than when I started paying my share. So not a long wait.
Just would like to know when students are deemed to be officially finished, after they receive their final results, and do not have to return to college, or after graduation!!!! I have an idea of the answer, but would like the official verdict.
I know lots of graduates leave for jobs once results are received... Some don't even return for graduation!!!!!

Once they are registered with An Bord Altranais as a qualified nurse. Until they do this they can't work as a staff nurse.

Thanks for that bit of info. Just a further question re this. When can a student nurse register, is it after they get their results.

Had a look at that site, and also the INO site. To my amazement I see on the INO site that a student nurse earns 25,500 for the last 12 months.... I would love to be able to ask someone about this and get the definitive answer. If she is on 25,500 a year I don't think she is 'dependent'. I don't wish to be mean, but I would never be told unless I find out myself.

. If she is on 25,500 a year I don't think she is 'dependent'. .
I agree with you and depending on your income I'm sure a judge would see it that way so (unless you are a multimillionaire). Why don't you just ask your daughter, she is after all an adult.

Last edited:
Thanks Bronte, as she is almost 23 and just awaiting her final results, (in 2/3 weeks time) I don't think it worthwhile to bother a judge. I was just hoping that someone in the 'know' would be able to tell me when a student nurse is officially finished college, and when they go on this 'rostered placement' to be in receipt of the 25,500euro for the final 12 months (or has it gone down to 17,500 for the last 9 months).
I am not a mean person, but at the moment I feel like the proverbial 'mushroom'. I have asked her about finances but I am always led to believe that she has nothing and it just does'nt tally with what others are saying.
Am I being led on a merry dance????

I would think that at 23 what ever wage she is on she is now able enough to look after herself. Weather the amount she earns is 25k or 17k.

She will always be your daughter and might come and say dad can you leand/give me "x" amount, thats what kids do.

But i think it's time you stopped giving maintenance to her mum. She has finished her education and is working. If she had completly flopped her exams would they allow her to work even as a student nurse?

I'd approach her mum and tell her that you are going to stop maintenance, dont think she'll be happy about it, but if your not being told income i think this is for a reason. She probably knows you shouldn't still be continuing with the maintenance. If she wishes she can go down the court route but i dont think she would do that and think it's even less likely the judge would continue making you pay.

I thought it was 24 but someone else said 23. Not sure where you would get that information from, but see if you can find out. If it is 23 then you dont have long before you legally dont have to pay anymore. Waiting till then might avoid hassel you dont need. Since your daughter doesn't seem to want to tell you anything, this could be because she's trying to help her mum out so she can continue to get the support from you.

The judgement is up till the age of 18, or 23 if in full time education. While dependent. I think myself when she gets her final results in a few weeks while on full time placement (rostered) and being paid is the end of being dependent...Would I be right...

lyonsie . Spousal maintenance in this day and age.!!! Why do you have to pay this. Does it cease when you finish paying maintenance for your daughter or is it for life.

Thanks Bronte, as she is almost 23 and just awaiting her final results, (in 2/3 weeks time) I don't think it worthwhile to bother a judge. I was just hoping that someone in the 'know' would be able to tell me when a student nurse is officially finished college, and when they go on this 'rostered placement' to be in receipt of the 25,500euro for the final 12 months (or has it gone down to 17,500 for the last 9 months).
I am not a mean person, but at the moment I feel like the proverbial 'mushroom'. I have asked her about finances but I am always led to believe that she has nothing and it just does'nt tally with what others are saying.
Am I being led on a merry dance????

Rostered placement is from Jan - Sept.

So assuming your daughter passed placement she should be registered with ABA sometime in October.

Thanks again Hanks09. You seem to know what you are talking about. From a parent who is paying maintenance until a child is finished their full time education and they are no longer dependent, when do you think my daughter fits into this category. I believe she is now finished college as she is getting her final results at the end of this month.

She won't be finished her education officially until she has successfully passed her rostered placement as this is part of the requirements of An Bord Altranais. So, she may have finished in College in terms of exams but she is still considered a student until both the theory and practice component of the course is successfully completed.

Thanks again Hanks09. You seem to know what you are talking about. From a parent who is paying maintenance until a child is finished their full time education and they are no longer dependent, when do you think my daughter fits into this category. I believe she is now finished college as she is getting her final results at the end of this month.

No problem. I am only coming from a nursing background here and not a legal one so i am not in any great position to advise but personally i would argue the case that your daughter has no longer been dependent since the start of January but others may argue otherwise!

So between Lou2 and Hanks09's replies I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Any 'legal eagles' out there with experience of this.

Back