When should architect receive final payment ?

kojak

Hi,

When should an architect receive his/her final payment ? Design of build and planning Drawings only... only up until planning is passed then the rest we can deal with ourselves, should they get fully paid up before the planning is passed or not ?
Keep in mind they will be lodging the application and dealing with the planners for us etc...

Also got couple of quotes back from architects and just want to make sure we are not being over charged, but what would be a reasonable hourly rate for an architect ?? Keep in mind, Agreed to pay half cash and half invoiced.....

Thanks.

Yes annfield, i rang them today and they said that would be totally cool.

Meanwhile back in the real world, i would still really appreciate any answers to my original question.

Thanks.

OP, I paid my architect for planning only service a few days after planning application was lodged. They would have dealt with any issues but thankfully we had none. Planning granted last week!!

See other thread re costs.

Meanwhile back in the real world, i would still really appreciate any answers to my original question.

Back in the real world, tax compliant architects and builders are going under as they can't compete with the black economy. Why don't you reduce the scope of your project to something that you can afford legally?

I would have thought that what he is doing is completely legally.
He is paying the Architect the sum agreed in the way it was requested.

Now whether the architect declares it or not to revenue is totally up to them......
If they don't, then they are the ones taking the chances.......

Probably got that wrong but that's what I always thought.
Now morally.... That's another story........

We don't accept cash payments as a rule, preferring to keep our history straight and our sales modest and our debts reasonable.
In Spain I understand cash forms part of the payment and is dealt with through the solicitor's office - different strokes.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Ok.... let's just say i pay by cheque and everything goes well and taxes get paid etc etc,
I just want to put this back on track to my original question please if that's ok, when should the architect get final payment for his services regarding planning and how much should an hourly rate cost be ??

Thank you oneandonly for your input.

Hi,

When should an architect receive his/her final payment ? Design of build and planning Drawings only... only up until planning is passed then the rest we can deal with ourselves, should they get fully paid up before the planning is passed or not ?
Keep in mind they will be lodging the application and dealing with the planners for us etc...

Also got couple of quotes back from architects and just want to make sure we are not being over charged, but what would be a reasonable hourly rate for an architect ?? Keep in mind, Agreed to pay half cash and half invoiced.....

Thanks.

You're talking about pieces of string and how long they are.

Some planning permissions can be straightforward and simple, they can be done for as little as €2,000.00 plus V.A.T. @ 21%

Others end up being War and Peace, with multiple presentations to the planners, models, 3D studies, followed by Appeals, Oral Hearings, you name it - could run to €10,000.

For 1,500-4,000 sq.ft houses with troublesome neighbours who appeal you, budget for €4,000 for the house application and €1-2,000 for the Appeal.

As for you dealing with it after planning yourselves, are you an archtiectural technician or project mananger?

If you mean by this that you intend to self-build, you'd better budget for a good set of drawings, selection of tenders limited inspections, certification, say €4,000.

If not, just remember you're acting as the contractor under the Health and Safety Legislation if you employ Direct Labour.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Back