When is a price cut a price increase- a big d supermarket

NOAH

I have seen many cheeky things when it comes to supermarkets trying to weedle money out of customers but the one I saw today takes the biscuit. I shop at same supermarket every week, it starts with D, and I have a good idea where items are stocked. Today I noticed a brand of orange juice had been moved from its usual spot. Now when you approach its new location, you are shown big red lollipop stickers with the words Price Cut in bold red. But the actual price of the item has increased. It was 2.09 cent and 2 for 4 euro. Now its showing 2.89 reduced to 2.29!! an increase of 20cent. Is this legal?? And so sneaky.

shame on Done's.

noah

The same shop has increased cat food for the second time in 3 months from 4.07 to 4.29 again with the big price cut stickers.

It used to be the case and I am 99% sure that it still is the law that an item must be at the quoted original price for 4 weeks out of the past 12 before it can be discounted and called a "sale" item. In this case, the shop would not be breaking the law if it had sold the item at 2.89 for 28 days within the last 3 months.

I believe this is from the Sale of goods and supply of services act 1980 but I stand to be corrected on the legislation. My memory of junior cert business studies will not stretch that far!!

I have seen many cheeky things when it comes to supermarkets trying to weedle money out of customers but the one I saw today takes the biscuit. I shop at same supermarket every week, it starts with D, and I have a good idea where items are stocked. Today I noticed a brand of orange juice had been moved from its usual spot. Now when you approach its new location, you are shown big red lollipop stickers with the words Price Cut in bold red. But the actual price of the item has increased. It was 2.09 cent and 2 for 4 euro. Now its showing 2.89 reduced to 2.29!! an increase of 20cent. Is this legal?? And so sneaky.

shame on Done's.

noah

This is one of ten supermarket "scams" listed recently on Yahoo, it catches most people out. Not long ago our local Tesco re-arranged their store only 12 months after re-opening. Most people I spoke to since actually spent more money because they got confused :(

There is another great one on the go in the same shop.

12 eggs are 1.59, 18 of the same eggs are 3.93 so it is cheaper to buy 24 eggs than 18. Mad.

I have reported them so I hope they get a god rap on the knuckles.

noah

Back