When does the autumn selling season end ?

Usjes

Hi,

I was hoping to buy a house this year but haven't found one yet. I am wondering if I should wait much longer or if there might be new one coming on the market for a while yet ?
It seems like there was a spring 'season' then nothing new coming on near the end of summer, then it all picked up again with lots of new ones coming on in autumn. Now I get the impression that this will all stop again coming up to Winter but I'm not sure when this will happen. Can I expect to still see the same volume of new houses for the next month or so or will it dry up much sooner ? I'm wondering if I should put in a bid on the best that's available at the moment or how much longer should I wait in case something I really like appears ?
So, what's the norm ? Will things be winding down by the end of October or will there still be a lot of new activity all the way through November ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

I'm assuming you're looking in Dublin?

If it's any help, I'm getting a house ready to bring to the market in South Dublin and I met 2 of well known agencies in late summer. Their advice was if I wasn't ready to have the house on he market for the end of September, that I should wait until January. The vast majority of autumn buyers want to be in the house by Christmas.

There will always be a trickle of properties coming to market, particularly executor sales, and I've noticed some houses previously sale agreed coming back on market, but otherwise not much 'new' to the market.

Depending on the type of property you're looking for, the budget changes to shorten the time frame for CGT relief to 4 years might bring more property to the market in the new year.

Where I'm looking to buy is even more seasonal with most sales completed by April each year!

Personally I would only bid on somewhere that you really like appears. The country is full of people who bought a house to get on the market rather than look long term and think whether they can live there for the next ten or fifteen years.

Personally I would only bid on somewhere that you really like appears. The country is full of people who bought a house to get on the market rather than look long term and think whether they can live there for the next ten or fifteen years.
Indeed, but I've been looking since 2016 and prices are only increasing, so you have got to be realistic at some point. In the year+ of looking I have only bid on one house and seen 3 others I would have bid on at their asking price (except each of them went for 100k+ over asking). So, assuming I want a house any time soon it seems inevitable I will have to settle for something.

Indeed, but I've been looking since 2016 and prices are only increasing, so you have got to be realistic at some point. In the year+ of looking I have only bid on one house and seen 3 others I would have bid on at their asking price (except each of them went for 100k+ over asking). So, assuming I want a house any time soon it seems inevitable I will have to settle for something.
I and a number of people I know have been looking for since before 2016. No need to rush into things. You will probably have to settle or compromise on what you want. Actually it's not 'probably' but 'definitely'.

Back