When are funds recognised on my AIB Mastercard?

CGorman

Hi,

I'm trying to book different parts of a holiday online - however the total for everything exceeds my card limit. So I booked the first part on Sunday and then transfered cash onto my card through my AIB online banking yesterday evening (around 8pm) - at present my card does'nt seem to have this taken into account as I can't book the next part of my holiday yet - anyone know how long it takes for the funds to clear so I can finalise my holiday! I'm afraid the excellent deal i'm after will expire soon!

Thanks CCOVICH, I booked the second part of my trip a few minutes ago successfully - so it appears to have taken about 24hrs, as you said - thanks again.

Especially when you see the money disappearing from the funding account immediately!

At a guess ..

.. because the funding account and the Mastercard account are not on the same platform and there is no real-time online connection between the two ?

I'd say the funds lodged on Monday evening didn't leave AIB until some time on Tuesday - batch interface from the AIB 'banking engine' to Mastercard.

Next time .. lodge the funds before you initiate the Mastercard transactions to 'boost' your credit limit.

I dont really mind the 24hr delay... now that I know its there! I'm just so use to seeing instant movements between different AIB accounts and cash desk fund lodgements that I was surprised!

If you ever want to make a large purchase, are going on holidays etc and you will exceed your credit card limit, try ringing your credit card company and requesting a short term increase in your credit limit. I have done this on a few occasions in the past and there has never been a problem with doing this.

At a guess ..

.. because the funding account and the Mastercard account are not on the same platform and there is no real-time online connection between the two ?

I'd say the funds lodged on Monday evening didn't leave AIB until some time on Tuesday - batch interface from the AIB 'banking engine' to Mastercard.

That seems like a very logical reason why this happens. Thanks for that.

Back