When applying the handbrake do . . .

mocky-Dower

Press the release button and pull the handbrake up OR do you just pull the handbrake up.

Which do you do ? :confused:

Re: When applying the handbreake do . . .

Press the release button then pull the hand brake up. If you are going on a driving test, bottom line is that the hand brake must not make a sound.

Yep. That's the way I was thought - Press button, and pull up. Repeat process for releasing. Probably kinder on the break mechanism / cable as well.

Its just that I got and 04 Mondeo and I was reading through the manual, and its say's that when applying the handbrake you should just pull it up, when leaving the handbrake down you must first press the release button then leave the handbrake down, but its say nothing about pressing the release button when applying the handbrake.

BTW: I always press the release button then pull it up ;)

why would you press the release to pull it up? is it not to release it from a locked position (brakes on), when its down the release button has no tension in it (not in my car anyway).

Press the release button then pull the hand brake up. If you are going on a driving test, bottom line is that the hand brake must not make a sound.

Where did you hear that, is it a fact?

I think different car manufacturers say different things. There was a watchdog programme featuring this a few months back. some cars rolled away after being parked. the thing in common was a French made car and the fact that all the people pressed in the button pulling up the barke?

yeah, the manual says just pull it up, Truthseeker, I always press the button before I pull the handbrake up, I suppose out of habit, looks like for Ford's you just 'Pull it up'

It was Vauxhall on Watchdog and there was a big deal made from Vauxhall re not using the button to pull up the handbrake. As this apparently was the reason some models were rolling away.

Yep. That's the way I was thought - Press button, and pull up. Repeat process for releasing. Probably kinder on the break mechanism / cable as well.
When releasing the handbrake pull it up slightly before pressing the button. Less effort needed that way.

yeah, the manual says just pull it up, Truthseeker, I always press the button before I pull the handbrake up, I suppose out of habit, looks like for Ford's you just 'Pull it up'

i drive a ford :)

on my last car if you pressed it before pulling up it wouldnt stick properly whenit got to the top of being pulled up - so i just got into the habit.....

Where did you hear that, is it a fact?

I think it's rubbish - my driving instructor told me this, that I should press the button to prevent damage to the handbrake ratchets. I asked someone else who is a mechanic - they'd never heard of it, so I drove in test as I always drive, just pulled it up. I obviously press the button to release the handbrake.
It certainly wasn't noted as an issue in my test (which I passed).

Rubbish!
On Most cars you should always just pull up the handbrake - that is the way they are designed to work. I have a few mechanic mates and they have confirmed this. If you just yank it up while pressing the button the cable is more likely to stretch and the handbrake will not work as effectively.

The clicky things are there for a reason :D

Mik

Thanks everyone, I think that's a resounding 'Just Pull it up' all I got to do now is get into the habit

Rubbish!
On Most cars you should always just pull up the handbrake - that is the way they are designed to work. I have a few mechanic mates and they have confirmed this. If you just yank it up while pressing the button the cable is more likely to stretch and the handbrake will not work as effectively.

The clicky things are there for a reason :D

Mik
Yes, the notches are there to stop the handbrake going down after pulling it up, not because you will be able to hear it clicking as you pull it up. As for over stretching the cable when you press the button, that statement is total nonsense.

I had a very cranky drive instructor a few years ago who was suppose to have an excellent pass rate.

He had a fit when I pulled the handbrake without pressing the button - went into a complete rant about it.

Ever since I just press the button .......

Back