When am I entitled to sign on?

U

Upinthecloud

Hello all..

I left my job at the end of September and haven't signed on-

Can anyone tell me how many weeks I have to wait before I am entitled to sign on after leaving a job of my own accord?

Thanks a mill :)

Entitlement to UA/UB can be deferred for a number of weeks (6 or 9 - can't remember offhand) when one leaves employment voluntarily but as far as I know the best thing is to just go to the SW office immediately anyway and they will let you know how your claim will operate. You should go now assuming that you think you qualify for UA/UB (e.g. you are genuinely seeking and available for work etc.).

I have been in the same situation, I got a telling off from the social welfare for not signing on the next day. I did not have to wait for the 6-9 weeks, although I also left of my own accord it was basically due to stress. It really depends on your circumstances, but I would advise to sign on immediately.

Siigning on immediately ensures you get credits for the weeks that you are disqualified, if this is applid to the claim. each case decidied on its own merits so deciding not to sign on is not recommended. SW might decide , say, stress was due to the type of job and not disqualify you at all. If you don't sign,. you might not qualify for benefits next year becuase of no credits!

Back