Wheelchair friendly hotel for weekend break

M

Macker76

Hubbie & I would like to take my mother away for a long weekend break in Ireland. I would appreciate any recommendations from experience of hotels/apartments and locations for plenty to do and see from a wheelchair user perspective.

Also, we're open to UK/European destinations, but concerned about flights, as most flights these days are step access. Any thoughts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Apologies for bumping this, but has anyone any input please? Its amazing how many hotels do not have wheelchair accessible rooms, and those that do upon investigation of several so far do not have adapted shower rooms.
Any help much appreciated.

would the irish wheelchair association have any recommendations/list?
actually just checked and they do, see here
[broken link removed]

Failte Ireland have a scheme for highlighting accessible hotels - see [broken link removed]

Make sure you are very specific to the hotels about your needs. Every wheelchair user is different, so what suits one wheelchair user may not suit you. Lots of Dublin venues (and soon, lots of Cavan venues) including hotels are listed on www.disabledgo.info with good detail on the facilities available.

Hi Macker....

I'm a wheelchair user, and a favourite haunt of mine is the Ferrycarraig Hotel in Wexford... Only the one room accessible at the moment so make sure you tell them when booking that you need it... There were a few issues in the room that needed sorting like the positioning of the shower's controls behind the person if they're sitting on the shower seat (Who thought of that little gem???)... But to be fair, they said that they would sort it, and I presume they have!...

All of the rooms are spacious, and have a balcony (wheelchair accessible) overlooking the river Barrow... The staff are very helpful, and the food is excellent... And it's near enough to the town to be convienient, but far enough away to avoid the problems of noise etc...

Well worth a try in my humble opinion...

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps...

Darth...

Hi Guys,

Thank you all very much for the feedback. Will investigate the Ferrycarraig now Darth; have heard good reports about it in the past too :)

Thx

Glad to be of assistance, Macker...

Hope your mum has a lovely trip...

By the way, The Talbot's nice too!...

Maybe if you get a chance, you'll let us know how it goes...

God bless...

Darth...

Back