Wheatfield Clondalkin

S

Sammia

Hi all,

Im an FTB considering buying in Wheatfield, but I know absolutely nothing about this area. Can someone please give some information? I have a 3 year old daughter, so obviously I don't want her growing up in a bad area. I'm a single parent, so safety really would be an issue for us. I know there is a prison nearby, but that doesn't really say much about the area itself. I know people tend to be defensive of their own areas & others tend to engage in snobbery when it comes to areas like Tallaght, Ballymun, Clondalkin etc., & I'd be lying if I said I these were my first choices, but I'm looking for an unbiast honest opinion. I come from a nice area in North Dublin & I feel that we were well brought up, I just want to be able to do the same for my daughter too, so I guess what I'm really asking is are the children in this are rough, is there antisocial behaviour etc.

Thanks!

I drive through ParkWest to Liffey Valley quite often & so pass the prison on the way. I know there's a halting site beside the prison - that affect your decision?

What's the name of the estate as there's a few apartment blocks in the area.
Never seen anything too bad but I usually only drive through during the day.
Cherry Orchard train station would be nearby which would be an advantage.

The M50 seperates Wheatfield estate and Wheatfield/Cloverhill Prison

Wheatfield estate itself is next to Oatfield and then Harelawn beside it again, just off the main Neilstown road. Personally I wouldnt live in this part of Clondalkin if I was paid to. Neilstown has a bad history and even though things can change, the area around the shops and the pub can be pretty bad at times.

Wheatfield itself is one of the better estates in that part of North Clondalkin. There is a large green area surrounding the estate which can be good and it tends to be quieter too. You also have Liffey Valley on your doorstep.

The tell-tale signs of good council estates are; -

• two or more houses have crazy paving on the walls
  • most of the windows in all the houses have unbroken glass
  • all the cars in the front gardens belong to the house owner
  • most of the cars in the estate have four wheels with tyres on them
These signs were present in the estate you are considering moving into, but not on some of the roads in the nearby Fonthill Estate.

Finches Pub was a kind of oasis between warring tribes and the kids were the problem, not the older teens or the adults.

The police station at the end of the Fonthill Road was the only one I can remember seeing in the Nineties that had assault-proof roller-wire and razor wire on top of the wall.

Perhaps I led too sheltered a life.

There was a huge sense of community on the Fonthill, and many law-abiding people lived there, with a high churchgoing presence.

All of this was put into sharp relief in the Nineties because of the Liffy Valley Shopping Centre. With this having gone ahead, I had hoped that all boats would rise and certainly the community seems different to the one I used to pass through occassionally.

However, the level of joblessness and indeed hopelessness was high thereabouts and you really need to ask in other fora to understand the current position.

More importantly, you may be tempted by cost and proximity to the city centre, but you also need to look at how well the house appreciated over the past 10 years to see where it'll be in ten years time - relative to other properties elsewhere in the city.

Thanks guys!

the estate is called Wheatfield Grove

Guess I'm pretty stuck then! It definitely wouldn't be my first choice of location, but beggars can't really be choosers, can they? Basically I'm 21, single parent, small budget (approved for 205K) & working in Sandyford so I'd have to stay within 45 minute drive of the industrial estate. Not really an endless horizon, I know...

I'll cut to the chase here... If I was to buy in this estate, would my daughter turn into a "Chung one"?? ... Yep, I know... Borderline discrimination, but this is one of the biggest decisions I'll ever make & I can't risk making a terrible decision for the sake of political correctness.
My daughter's my world & I want to do the best I can for her, so basically my options are:

A. Small apartment in an area like Santry, Clongriffin or Kilbarrack

OR

B. 3 bedroom house in Wheatfield

I'm lost!! Friends, family etc., are a bit afraid to give advice on this 'cause they don't want to feel somewhat responsible for a decision I'm not happy with in the long run...

If you were stuck between A or B (or similar) with my budget & had to consider schools, day care & general child friendliness, What would you do??? Yep, I'm basically asking strangers to make the biggest decision of my short life to date! No really, any input or alternative ideas are also welcome!!

PS I have to drive, so public transport isn't an option...

Why do you feel the need to buy at this time at all what ever you buy will be cheaper by the end of the year anyway. I have a friend that is a single parent that has returned from England with a bigger budget for a house a very good income and after alot of advise from people in the business (I know nobody really knows) but she was advised to rent for now and wait until things bottom out. You can get really nice places now at lower rents and it will give you a chance to check out an area before you make a big mistake and buy something you might not be able to sell for a long time.

My friend has her daughter going to a really good school now and at one time could never have afforded to buy in the area but it has become more and more likely that she will be able to afford a house there.

I have been watching the market for a house for my son (who is out of the country for now) and houses I was looking at the start of the year are tumbling down every month I'm so glad he didn't jump in when people were saying 'now is the time to buy' or he would now be in negative equity.

Good look in what ever you decide but for your daughters sake take you time in deciding and dont panic buy. As for 'Borderline discrimination' of course you should care what type of Environment your child will be growing up in.

Hi Sammia,
I don't want to drift off the point but have you considered going the Affordable Housing route? Not all properties are apartments and as you are a single parent you could well be offered a house which seems to be what you are looking for.

In the current climate buying anywhere, privately or on the AH is a bit of a risk but I know when I was looking to buy the one thing everyone kept saying to me is "make sure its an area you are happy to be still living in in 5, 10, 15 yrs time". You seem to be taking this view too based on your post.

If I were you I would hold off.....keep an eye on the market, give the AH some consideration and bite the bullet when you find an area you're happy to raise your daughter in.

Best of luck,
FTB1975

agree with last two posters regarding holding off. if u absolutely had to buy i would go for santry, followed closely by clongriffin - once m50 upgrade is finished commute will be grand

hi sammia, well im from clondalkin and was brought up in a council estate, but not in North Clondalkin ie. Rowlagh, Neilstown etc.
I personally wouldnt buy a property here, and its not snobbery but I just wouldnt feel as safe and wouldnt like to have my daughter out playing in that area- although it is one of the best areas in North Clondalkin.
If clondalkin is the area you would like to buy the I would advise some of the better ex- council estates in clondalkin are Michael Collins Park, James Connolly Park and Dunawley and I would happily advise anyone to buy a property there- even myself. With your budget tho have you looked at Mill Park complex.. its in a good location, gated complex with a mixture of duplex, houses and apts. This area is nice has schools right on your doorstep, new leisure centre, shops, nice village etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, here is my tuppents worth. I'm from North Clondalkin and know the area quite well. Wheatfield and Oatfield are nice private (and quiet)estates however they are located between Neilstown and unfortunately Harelawn. Harelawn is the biggest kip outside Afghanistan and I wouldn't be happy living so close to it. Think long and hard belore you jump into something like this. I'd advise taking a spin out to the area at night and you'll be able to make a better decision. I'd personally reccommend Alpine, Ashwood, Oakwood etc (anywher the opposite side of the tracks really)

Sammia

I currently live in Wheatfield and would not really recommend it for a single mother who is not from the area. I am only renting at the moment and find the area ok but as other posters have mentioned you are in Neilstown which has a lot of anti-social behaviour. My house is located last on a block of houses facing a green area and weekends can be a nightmare with teenagers etc hanging around drinking and causing generally trouble. I have been living in Wheatfield since last yearand am moving next month as I am after buying a house and i cant say i will miss the place.

The tell-tale signs of good council estates are; -

• two or more houses have crazy paving on the walls
  • most of the windows in all the houses have unbroken glass
  • all the cars in the front gardens belong to the house owner
  • most of the cars in the estate have four wheels with tyres on them
These signs were present in the estate you are considering moving into, but not on some of the roads in the nearby Fonthill Estate.

Finches Pub was a kind of oasis between warring tribes and the kids were the problem, not the older teens or the adults.

The police station at the end of the Fonthill Road was the only one I can remember seeing in the Nineties that had assault-proof roller-wire and razor wire on top of the wall.

Perhaps I led too sheltered a life.

There was a huge sense of community on the Fonthill, and many law-abiding people lived there, with a high churchgoing presence.

All of this was put into sharp relief in the Nineties because of the Liffy Valley Shopping Centre. With this having gone ahead, I had hoped that all boats would rise and certainly the community seems different to the one I used to pass through occassionally.

However, the level of joblessness and indeed hopelessness was high thereabouts and you really need to ask in other fora to understand the current position.

More importantly, you may be tempted by cost and proximity to the city centre, but you also need to look at how well the house appreciated over the past 10 years to see where it'll be in ten years time - relative to other properties elsewhere in the city.

Wheatfield has always been a private Estate. As has Oatfield. As are many of the estates bordering the Fonthill Road, Glenfield, etc. I dont also think any of the neighbouring estates are called Fonthill Estate. The Fonthill Road is actually a new phenonomen and the area around the Garda station has always been known locally as Balgaddy, which ironically enough translates into something like baile na gaiddi (town of thieves!!!) That was a local joke.

Rumour had it (dont know how true it is ) is that "The Finches" as it is called erected wire on the top of the bar so the pints of guiness would not be knicked when they were "resting"

Second the post about Wheatfield/Oatfield etc them more or less being surrounded by Harelawn, St. Marks, etc, which would not be great.

Agree as well the opinion that Ashwood, Alpine and my first choice Oakwood would be the way to go for that end of the budget, though I think might be still outside your budget. I would also think twice about buying if that is your budget.

Have you looked at Adamstown, I think a 2 bed apartment there is down to about €185 and although it is not fully established yet, I am not sure they will have the level of social problems that are evident in parts of North Clondalkin.

Sammia,

I hope you take most of the advice given here and steer clear of the area. A girl of your age with a young child would in my opinion not be safe in that area. As you are living in the Northside you could compare that area to bad parts of Darndale or Ballymun. I know there are lovely people living everywhere and it is the miniority that cause the trouble but the minority in that area could see you and your child as easy targets, particularly as your friends and family are so far away.

Why not rent for a while and keep your money until the housing market settles. Also take into account that you may not always be working in Sandyford. Just take your time and dont make any rash decisions.

Best of luck. LS.

Sammia,

Why not rent for a while and keep your money until the housing market settles. Also take into account that you may not always be working in Sandyford. Just take your time and dont make any rash decisions.

Best of luck. LS.

+1. I dont know the area so I have no advice to offer in that respect. It is as you rightly say, a huge decision, and naturally you are anxious to make the best decision for you and your child. I would really advise you to take your time in coming to a decision to buy. Above all I wish you the very best of luck with whatever decision you take.

Sammia,

I hope you take most of the advice given here and steer clear of the area. A girl of your age with a young child would in my opinion not be safe in that area. As you are living in the Northside you could compare that area to bad parts of Darndale or Ballymun. I know there are lovely people living everywhere and it is the miniority that cause the trouble but the minority in that area could see you and your child as easy targets, particularly as your friends and family are so far away.

Best of luck. LS.

That bad? Thanks for the advice . I can't afford to be throwing money away on rent, Its far more expensive than a mortgage & I wont be doing that again. And yes I have a very secure job here & have every intention of staying here for at least the next 5 years. Its a career that I'm extremely lucky to have I've no intention of bailing out for anything else. I wont be making rash decisions, hence this being part of my research, thanks for the input, much appreciated!!

Hi Sammia,
I've just starting researching Oatfield for similar reasons to yours. I'm curious - did you buy in the area? And if so hows it been?

Back