whats the diff. between land registry & registry of deed

J

joel

whats the diff. between land registry & registry of deed

Hi,
I am in the process of buying a new house. Just I am wondering which one is best to go for Land registry or registry of deeds.
Got a quote from solicitor (which around E1800, it seems bit high), E300 more for land registry, is that normal? (both incl. outlays)

I am NOT a credit union member so I can't go with homesellhomebuy mortgage fee offer.

Thanks
Joel

Re: whats the diff. between land registry & registry of

Maybe the info on their website would help in your decision?

Land Registry

You dont get to choose! The property is either registered in the registry of deeds or the land registry already and your solicitor wont know which until he gets the title with the contracts which is why you've been quoted both. In some cases, usually new builds there can be a mixture of both types of title. Also if you REALLY want to you can have a property which is registered in the registy of deeds converted in to a land registry title, but in the majority of cases there is no need, and it would just create extra expense.

Thank you for your replies.
Vanilla, your post cleared my doubt.

Joel

Hi Joel - there are other companies out there offering flat fee conveyancing - so you don't have to stick with you quote of €1800 plus the outlays (and probably VAT) which seems quite high.

I went with and got mine done for €975 plus vat and outlays. The solicitor was Susan Cosgrove of Lyons Solicitors and was excellent.

Re: ...

ANy new house these days islikely to be land registry. Registry of deeds tend to be older urban houses with really long title papers. They can cost more as they cannot be obtained online and take a long time to read through. The difference dates back to when theland registry was set up and some land was commonage and other land wasn't.

Out of interest, what's preventing you from joining the Credit Union and using the fixed conveyancing then.

Paul MacPiarais.

Re: Land registry-v- registry of deeds

Paul, what you re saying isnt actually correct. Just because a house is new doesnt mean it s more likely to be land registry, and similarly the fact that it is urban rather than rural has no bearing. Some areas simply have registry of deeds title, some dont. The fact that a property has registry of deeds title USED to make for a higher legal fee as reading the title is more involved, but not anymore. Also the fees in the registryof deeds are in fact substantially lower to register title than that of the land registry.

Good to know more about the land registry & deeds but now its bit confusing.

I thought I may I need to open an a/c in a credit union to become a member (may be I am wrong!), so that I haven't even enquired about it yet... No other reason.

Joel

"Just because a house is new doesnt mean it s more likely to be land registry, and similarly the fact that it is urban rather than rural has no bearing. "

Sorry to butt in Vanilla, but being rural does increase the likelihood of having a Land Registry Title. Almost all agricultural land in Ireland was bought out from landlords under the various land purchase schemes; It was the registration of these land purchase schemes which gave the opportunity to bulk-register land in the newly formed Land Registry.

So, if a house is built on former farmland, it is almost certain to be a Land Registry title. The exceptions (in rural areas) would be farms which were in the same family since before the formation of the State, farms attached to former poorhouses, hospitals or lunatic asylums (as they were called) and land owned by religious orders.

Yes MOB you are right. I was trying ( clumsily, I admit) to make the point that just because the property you are buying is urban or rural doesnt mean you can depend on it being one type of title. I would say though that there are many farms which have passed down through the same family for generations.

Also one thing I forgot to mention is that search fees on a registry of deeds title would be much higher than land registry, so swings and roundabouts...

Back