What's the best way to de-ice the windscreen?

On reflection I think just running the engine is the best way. Though only on one of our cars can I run it and lock the doors with the other key. The other will only let me lock it from the inside when its running.

Just a warning about Air Conditioning - My Sister in Law managed to crack her windscreen by blasting the Aircon on full blast when getting into a freezing car. So same rules apply - dont apply heat too fast!

Some seven seater MPV - cant remember the exact type. She was a wee bit shocked!

For Gods sake shesells get a grip!!

You sound like somebody from the health and safety board.

All we are discussing is how to get rid of ice off a car windscreen!!!

I was up at my MiL's house picking the kids up and I saw the girl-racer from a couple of doors down pouring hot water from the kettle all over the windows of her car, this was of course simply re-freezing on contact with the ground forming a massive ice rink all over the pavement down the hill. So she goes in (leaving the car running on her drive for anyone to drive away, I certainly wasn't going to stop them) to get another load of water, comes out with it and falls comically on her backside on the ice she's just created, spilling the hot water all over her legs and banging the kettle off her car. I'm still laughing about it days later.

Years ago my housemate's sure-fire way to combat windscreen icing was to put newspaper on the screen held down by the wipers. Cue the next day it took us ages to peel it off in about a million tiny pieces, plus he had to drive all the way to work in the low sun with the imprint of the newsprint still on the screen.

BTW - before anyone asks - yes I did go over to help and no she wasn't seriously hurt.

SSE

I actually gave out to a woman the other week who was pouring water all over her windows...water was going all over the path and clearly going to freeze on those same paths and be a lethal hazard to pedestrians.

I use a couple of jugs of water myself however I keep a 3 iron in the boot of the car in case any of the neighbours have an issue with this..

Time to get out that old army coat we used to use to heat us in bed - now that we have electric blankets, we can use the coat to cover the windscreen. Eco-solution!

Just a warning about Air Conditioning - My Sister in Law managed to crack her windscreen by blasting the Aircon on full blast when getting into a freezing car. So same rules apply - dont apply heat too fast!

must have been already chipped

Its already been said in this thread but theres no need for chemicals or scraping or leaving the engine on. You don't even have to use hot water, just pour luke-warm water over the ice until its gone and then turn the wipers on to get rid of the water. No water on the windscreen, no ice. Takes about 15 seconds and your windscreen is clear.

+1. Never used the wipers before this morning and always had re-frozed windows. Turned on the wipers this morning after putting luke-warm water on the windscreen and it was perfect..thanks....saved me an extra trip back in to fill the kettle

I use a couple of jugs of water myself however I keep a 3 iron in the boot of the car in case any of the neighbours have an issue with this..

At least with the 3 iron you'll have to take responsibility for your actions.
With the kettle of water...your 70 something-year-old neighbour who falls on your ice rink and breaks their hip has a 30 % chance of dying.

But you can't be blamed.

I'm in Ireland for the holidays, and one thing I notice, leave your windscreen wipers up off the windscreen, it's something we do all the time in the US, is stops them getting packed with ice and snow, and makes scraping easier.

I'm in Ireland for the holidays, and one thing I notice, leave your windscreen wipers up off the windscreen, it's something we do all the time in the US, is stops them getting packed with ice and snow, and makes scraping easier.

would be fine in a private secluded place but my worry would be that it would be too inviting for some fecker to pull off.
Cant believe this thread is still going btw. Warm water is fine but in this extrem cold you shouldnt. Just turn the car on and as soon as the temp gauge starts rising turn on the hot air. The car will benefit from a few mins warm up before moving aswell.

I use an old credit card clears all windows in about 1 minute and no refreezing, works a treat. Browtal

Bit of an old thread browtal? On xmas eve I went out to clear mine and it was -11 with about 3" of frozen snow with a rockhard layer of about 1" ice at the bottom. A credit card wouldn't do much for that.

Bit of an old thread browtal? On xmas eve I went out to clear mine and it was -11 with about 3" of frozen snow with a rockhard layer of about 1" ice at the bottom. A credit card wouldn't do much for that.

Depends on the credit card...I've heard MBNA Gold Cards will take everything you've got

Warm or hot water can and does crack windows.use an ice scraper best way and it'll warm you up too

"When i lived in snowyland before the locals always kept their wipers clear of the window at night...ie sticking out"

What a simple idea that is, I must remember for the next cold spell...personally I just turn on the car and start scraping, no water, no chemicals, just takes a few minutes and some effort

I live in Holland. It gets pretty cold and water just freezes again. Just scrape, get a bit of exercise in the morning.

Back