What's the best way to de-ice the windscreen?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I always use the de-icer spray as I was told that pouring hot water on the windscreen could cause it to crack.

But now I am told that modern windscreens do not crack if hot water is poured on them. Is that true? If it's true should I add salt to the water before pouring it over the windscreen?

I don't like leaving the engine running with noone in the car as I see others doing.

I also have a problem with condensation on the rear window which also freezes. I don't like using deicer inside the car.

Never used de-icer, (too mean to buy any ;))

I start the engine, put on the blower and rear-screen de-mist and then attack ice with my scraper...gives me an enormous sense of achievement!

Nothing wrong with warm water though, if you're in a rush

Whatever floats ya boat :)

I always use water and de-icer, If at home I fill an empty 2L carton of milk with barley luke warm water and pour this over the w/screen and windows if necessary.

The tin of de-icer is always in the car in case I'm out and have to use that instead.

I always use water and de-icer, If at home I fill an empty 2L carton of milk with barely luke warm water and pour this over the w/screen and windows if necessary.

The tin of de-icer is always in the car in case I'm out and have to use that instead.

+1. Warm water works well, but the risk is that if the weather is cold enough, it will refreeze immediately, leaving a film of thin ice on the windscreen which is impossible to remove.

My tip is to run the wipers on intermittent and pour the water on the windscreen just before the wiper goes. The water will be taken off immediately. This works really well, as long as you avoid being splashed with the water coming off the windscreen wiper.

Living in North Pennsylvania, we use -30 degree C fluid in the windscreen washer, and typically use scrapers, it's rare you see anyone pouring warm water on their windscreens even at -20C some mornings... the scraping warms you up!remote car starters are popular.

salt in the water is asking for corrosion problems.

as for condensation in the car, if you can bear it, roll the window down for a few minutes towards the end of your trip, I try to drop the internal car temp before parking up.

Can't believe people won't spend one euro 59cent on a de-icer.
I bought mine in lidl's, squirted on windows and almost immediately the ice melted , got into my car and drove away.

Get rid of the water and you won't have a problem.

I use warm water, and hand held window wiper.

For side windows, just our the water on, and then wipe dry. Ice can't form if there is no water.

For the windscreen do the same.

If you don't have a hand wiper... just put the wipers on intermittent for short while.

Using the above mtheod will give you crystal clear windows without and refreezing of sections.

Living in North Pennsylvania, we use -30 degree C fluid in the windscreen washer, and typically use scrapers, it's rare you see anyone pouring warm water on their windscreens even at -20C some mornings... the scraping warms you up!remote car starters are popular.

salt in the water is asking for corrosion problems.

as for condensation in the car, if you can bear it, roll the window down for a few minutes towards the end of your trip, I try to drop the internal car temp before parking up.

I am not surprised no one uses water at those temperatures. It would probably freeze on contact.!

tepid water, if your too cheap to buy a can of spray de-icer

You could also try throwing an old sheet or blanket across the windshield at night. Close the front doors on it to keep it taught and stop it getting nicked! Anything that creates a barrier between the snow/freezing fog and the screen.

Where I live the temperatures can often dip below -20 (saw -28 last winter on the computer) so usually my biggest problem is finding a door which will open. Often find myself wiggling thro' the boot so I always leave the rear seat unlatched.

You could also try throwing an old sheet or blanket across the windshield at night. Close the front doors on it to keep it taught and stop it getting nicked! Anything that creates a barrier between the snow/freezing fog and the screen.

Where I live the temperatures can often dip below -20 (saw -28 last winter on the computer) so usually my biggest problem is finding a door which will open. Often find myself wiggling thro' the boot so I always leave the rear seat unlatched.

Your doors are probably sticking from damage to your door seals by closing them on a blanket.

But now I am told that modern windscreens do not crack if hot water is poured on them. Is that true?

Guy in my office last year poured hot water on his car windows and drove to work. He got out of the car, slammed the door, and the back windscreen shattered. It was a 2006 bmw.

I wouldnt risk it.

spent 11 yrs in sweden and never used or heard of anyone using de-icer or warm H2O. Just get a good scraper, Aldi sold em a few weeks back, start the engine, brush off snow, scrape, by the time your done the engine will be nice and warm. Good for the car too to gives it a few minutes to warm up.

I assume that in really cold places, water isn't an option, which is why you don't see it. also you probably have very thick layers of ice/snow compared to the thin layer you get in Ireland. So water would take ages. There was always talk of de-icers damaging paint, and scrapers scratching glass. But I've never used them, some lukewarm water has always worked. Or just the heaters.

Your doors are probably sticking from damage to your door seals by closing them on a blanket.

This is where I say, with some embarrassment, that I've never actually tried the solution I suggested. I've just watched my neighbours do it! I'm a dust pan brush and scraper man myself.

One thing I DO do which seems to help once the engine is running and I'm pfaffing about outside is that I pull down the sun visors so they are at a 30 degree-ish angle to the screen. My reasoning is that they catch some of the warm air off the blower and re-direct it down the screen rather than let it buzz off across the head-lining.

I know, I know. Too much time on my hands thinking about silly ideas but it really does seem to cut down the time it takes the ice on the outside of the screen to get slushy.

I don't use De-icer as I don't like the idea of spraying chemicals on the car. I'm sure I read somewhere it can damage the surface of paintwork and the rubber on wiper blades and window beads.

I also don't use 'warm' or even tepid water but fill a bottle straight from the cold tap. This easily clears the ice and doesn't risk the thermal shock on the glass. However, glass will generally only crack from temp shock if there is a stone chip etc already there.

I always use slightly warm water on the windows and leave the wiper blades going.

I hear a lot of people talking about leaving the heated rear window on for long periods of time but I understand these are a big drain on the battery. A relative got the bright idea a few years ago to always leave the heater on the back window for the full length of their journeys. Started having problems with the fairly new battery. It took a while for the garage to track the problem down to the heater.

I start my car, turn on the heater and heated rear window and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes whilst enjoying a coffee inside my home, looking out at my thawing car.

Luckily, I have automated gates too.

Back