Whats Kilmuckridge, Co Wex like for a holiday home?

Kitten

Nice area for a holiday home?

We've sale agreed on a house in the hook peninsula but it's taking forever to close so out of curiousity we're checking out other areas and may make a change.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Re: Kilmuckridge

I live (part time - about 4 days/week) down the road in Blackwater. For me Kilmuckridge is "the big smoke" ... with the Chinese takeaway :p

Basically depends what you are looking for... if you're buying a property off the beaten track, i.e. Morris Castle direction rather than centre ville, and are planning activities at home and on the beach, then the area is nice. If you want somewhere that's a nice town with things to do at night... then the north and central Wexford coastal towns can be a bit seedy in summer with teenagers/older kids hanging about at a loose end, and mainly Dubs in the Pubs (unless you brave the síbíns).

On the up side, the weather is definitely better on average than just 60 miles up the road (in spite of last Friday's sighting of a tornado :eek: ).

I prefer winter myself... far less people around, the beaches are deserted but still great to walk on, and -- if you're a Dub -- you get to see dark skies with stars again.

Wexford... near where Saving Private Ryan was filmed.

That was slightly further south.
In my experience Kilmuckridge is quite rough...personally I'd swerve it as you tend to get an unsavoury element down there.

Good stuff, thanks for the info. Think we may be sticking with the hook!

Re: Kilmuckridge / Rosslare Strand

Hi Kitten

Assume your sale in Hook has gone through but if not have you considered Rosslare Strand. We've had a holiday home therefore for 5 years and love it. The village has come on a lot in the last few years and in addition to a fab beach and excellent recreation facilities the village has a couple of pubs (one really nice), a Spar, hairdressers, patisserie (new this summer), post office, chinese restaurant and of course Kelly's Hotel which has a great Spa and Restaurant. I love the fact that everything I need for a weekend is in the village so I don't have to go into Wexford town unless I really want to.

Despite the development Rosslare Strand is still lovely and quiet in the winter and has a nice buzz in the summer. We love it so much that we are actually moving down to North Co. Wexford permanently now (not Rosslare unfortunately as it's too far to commute to Dublin). Consequently we need to sell our house in Rosslare. If you're interested in finding out more PM me. It's 4 bed semi, decent sized south facing back garden with large patio area in a small estate about a five minute walk from the beach and village with it's shops and pubs. It's not your typical country retreat but we found having a newly built house perfect for a holiday home as it's so easy to maintain and doesn't mind being neglected for months at a time over the winter if we haven't time to go down for a weekend.

Thats so wierd - I was only checking out places in Wexford myself the past week -

I thought that Kilmuckrisge was THE place to be after I found this:
[broken link removed]

"The only gaming licenced premises in the south east after Courtown."

whats not to love??!!!

Paddy

Back