What's happening on departures from Dublin Airport?

Well I'm in no rush to fly anywhere. And by the looks of it will be getting a lot pricier to fly/travel - it's a good thing environmentally to stop flying at the drop of a hat like happened pre pandemic. So not too concerned about Dublin airport delays etc!
Dean what normally cost me €2100 in flights pre covid it’s now costing €3600,I’m still highly considering it.

Was there this morning and no issue whatsoever. Cleared security in T1 in 20 minutes at 7am. Interesting to see what happens when people are told to be prepared before getting to belts. They were also taking people who might need assistance out of the queue. Saw a mother with two young children and two elderly couples being helped.

I got this email from Ryanair this morning which made me glad I had decided not to travel.

Dear Brendan Burgess,
Due to possible long waiting times at security control, please arrive at Dublin Airport at least 3,5hours before your scheduled departure time.

Please be advise that our check in desks open 3,5 hours and close 40 minutes prior your schedule departure time.

Ryanair apologises for the inconvenience caused by these restrictions which are outside of our control.
Ryanair Customer Care Team

I know that an hour will be plenty, but the idea of waiting on the other side for 2 1/2 hours just does not appeal to me.

Brendan

Most major airports are experiencing delays at the moment, Heathrow has been cancelling ~100 flights per day over the last week and delayed thousands, It seems many of them are struggling to build staff numbers back up alongside dealing with Covid absences.

FPbiGP0WUAIZ-cO

The queue outside Manchester airport to get inside to join the security queue.

My son is going to Berlin with his school on Saturday. We have to be at the airport 3 hours beforehand. Lucky for me, his 6am flight was cancelled and the flight is at 5pm, which is unlucky for him as he misses out on a day in Berlin.

Have a relative working there. They told me that all the excuses are just that. They know exactly how many people are going through security every day. They even know each of their names and what flight they are one. So its not possible they dont know the numbers to expect.
What really happened was that they let a lot of the staff go and cannot attract new staff now. Thats all thats going on. 100% the fault of daa.

Have a relative working there. They told me that all the excuses are just that. They know exactly how many people are going through security every day. They even know each of their names and what flight they are one. So its not possible they dont know the numbers to expect.
What really happened was that they let a lot of the staff go and cannot attract new staff now. Thats all thats going on. 100% the fault of daa.
I don't have a link for it, but that is exactly what was reported in the Sunday Indo yesterday, they let hundreds of well paid staff go, replacing them on what, in essence, is a minimum guaranteed hours contract only and have one one fully qualified person to some part of the training. They had a year to get ready for this and haven't.

I don't have a link for it, but that is exactly what was reported in the Sunday Indo yesterday, they let hundreds of well paid staff go, replacing them on what, in essence, is a minimum guaranteed hours contract only and have one one fully qualified person to some part of the training. They had a year to get ready for this and haven't.
Read that too.totally daa problem.
Shocking the can get away with the low pay snd 20hrs a week min

Went to London the weekend just passed.

Arrived at Dublin 2.30 Hours before flight, just took 20mins to get through in T2.

On the way back arrived at Gatwick 3 hours before flight 10 min to go through security.

Long time to wait around in a airport, think the retailers & duty free are making well out of this alarm

"Long time to wait around in a airport, think the retailers & duty free are making well out of this alarm"

Agreed.

OH arrived three hours before departure to Manchester on a Ryanair flight today, sailed through security and took a look at the queues for food and drink and decided it wasn't worth the queue.

mf

this adds a new dimension to the story

I've flown through early morning weekdays twice the last two weeks. There queues were short but the airport was quiet at the time. Some of the scenes over the weekend are shocking.

What I did notice is massive increase in the number of random swabs they were doing. Both times, nearly everyone going through had at least one tray get diverted for a random test or further investigation. This then lead to a backlog on the testing route, which meant the whole system came to a standstill. Comparing that to pre-Covid business travel, where I don't think I ever had my bags checked. I can definitely see how that can be a massive compounding factor along with all the other issues

I haven't flown yet but we are going to Sardinia in July and decided to fly out of Cork. Brother in law works there and apparently there are perks to this, no details given, but reading this I'm glad we decided to not use Dublin.

My wife and daughter did go to London in February, T2 was perfect, she still has comments about Heathrow...

Perhaps its time to utilise Cork, Shannon and Knock more.....why everything needs to go through Dublin seems senseless.

The relative is correct for them knowing the day before or even the week before.

But they don't know 6-8 weeks ahead, or 4-6 months ahead which is the time required for recruitment, training and security clearance.

But what they also don't know is how many utter eejits are coming, that still, 21 YEARS later have no clue what to do at security, that still leave bottles of liquid, scissors, knives, toy guns etc etc etc in their bags
That still don't know to take belts off.
That still wear footwear that require them to be taken off, that still whine when told they have to take a coat or jacket off.

I travelled to Birmingham recently and I would guess that at least 10% of people had "issues" that were totally and utterly avoidable if they had a brain cell.

That small number took an inordinate amount of time to process and it was a relatively quiet time (20 min)

Not really…it’s the capital and the economic engine, plus the other ‘cities’ are almost villages in comparison.
Well the engine needs a tune up then, because it's not running efficiently. And I'm not talking about only the Airport departure lounges.

Just on the "economic engine" while it about 39.5% of GDP (147bn of 373bn, 2020 CSO figures preliminary) it does seem to suck in a lot of economic activity that would be well catered for in other regions including air travel.

I appreciate that most Multinationals want to locate in Dublin for many reasons but if Dublin is bursting at the seems perhaps its time to utilise other regions.

It's a small country with excellent connectivity via motorways. Slightly off topic

Last edited:
I do find it funny that the DAA made a song and dance last week about winning the contract to operate Jeddah Airport in Saudi Arabia.

These clowns think that they can ship millions of pilgrims off to Mecca when they can’t even get Brendan Burgess off to Lake Como.

The difference is, Herr Burgess won’t chop their heads off when it all goes pear-shaped, but the Saudis just might.

King Salman and his cronies clearly don’t use Google.

Last edited:
Back