What would you do? Smoking e cigarette on flight.

Laramie

I flew back from Switzerland last week. Our flight was delayed by approximately one hour. While we were waiting to board our flight after going through the gate I noticed a woman was smoking an e cigarette in the terminal. She was blowing the smoke in to her handbag.

We were then asked to go to the air plane but queue at the bottom of the steps. While in the queue a different woman lit an ordinary cigarette despite the fact that the plane was being refuelled at the time. I was the only one who asked her to put out her cigarette as it was dangerous.

After we boarded the lady who was using the e cigarette was sitting in front of me in the front row of the plane. During the flight when the cabin crew were serving food etc, both herself and her partner kept looking back towards the back of the cabin, keeping lookout. Then she would smoke her cigarette, blowing the smoke in to her handbag.

I think a discreet word with one of the cabin crew? Almost certainly it is against the airline company policy:
[broken link removed]

Interesting one and normally i'd say report her double quick. However, only yesterday evening in Reus airport (Spain) while waiting for a flight back to Dublin with Cello airlines/Sunway travel we were directed to wait on the runway to board out flight and while in the queue I saw a man and woman with 2 children (Cavan GAA jersey fans with their names on them) light up a cigarette and both dragged the life out of it while all the time looking out for "enforcers". I said to the woman, "that's not allowed and it's dangerous" to which both her and her partner replied "it's none of your fxxkxn business". They had their children with them so I left it, but others weren't as obliging and one man told them if they didn't stub out the fag immediately that he would do it for them. The cigarette got one more big suck from both and was stubbed into the ground right in front of the passenger. If they didn't have children with them I hate to think what might have happened.

Who is responsible for the passengers between the terminal and aircraft? When I get off the plan a cabin crew member usually walks the first of the passengers to the terminal, stopping them when there is airport traffic coming etc.

Is it not possible for a ground crew member or cabin crew member to keep an eye on the queue waiting to board the aircraft. With petrol fumes in the air it is unbelievable that there are idiots out there who will light up a cigarette. They should be denied boarding for doing this.

Agree with @geri , big BIG difference between vaping and smoking, even the title of the thread is somewhat misleading ie "Smoking e cigarette...."

I mean why not start giving out about the water vapour coming out of galley kettles when the cabin crew start brewing up tea/coffee, its the exact same that comes from vaping devices.
Personally I think there are more unpleasant gases emanating from passengers than those that come from vaping devices.

Agree with @geri , big BIG difference between vaping and smoking, even the title of the thread is somewhat misleading ie "Smoking e cigarette...."

I mean why not start giving out about the water vapour coming out of galley kettles when the cabin crew start brewing up tea/coffee, its the exact same that comes from vaping devices.
Personally I think there are more unpleasant gases emanating from passengers than those that come from vaping devices.

Vaping Is Bad For Your Health. Highlights: “Listening to some e-cigarette advocates you would think that vaping was no more dangerous than inhaling purified water vapor. However, there is nothing natural about deeply inhaling a mist of propylene glycol and/or glycerin deeply into the lungs on a daily basis for years.

@noproblem That discussion is for another thread, I am not discussing the health merits, whether good/bad of vaping here. The OP is not about that.

@noproblem That discussion is for another thread, I am not discussing the health merits, whether good/bad of vaping here. The OP is not about that.

Ok, but in my case the people were actually smoking a cigarette and not that far away from the actual plane we were lined up to board, there was a strong smell of gasoline all around us. Look, I didn't report the couple, but, in all fairness they shouldn't have lit up and it was very bad manners from them.

That discussion is for another thread, I am not discussing the health merits, whether good/bad of vaping here. The OP is not about that.

A significant part of the reason they are banned is due to potential health risks. so I'm not sure you can just eliminate that from the thread. While e-cigarettes produce vapour and not smoke, this vapour isn't just harmless water.

As an ex-smoker who used e-cigs to get off the darn fags, I have some sympathy with the strength of the addiction, but none for breaking the law of airline policies. I have come to detest the plumes of vapour from those e-cigs. They really are disgusting. As an aside, I was sitting eating lunch yesterday and some bloke plonked down beside me, lit a fag, and started texting. I probably should have said something, but didn't want a row. Smokers need to be considerate, particularly of people eating.

Agree with @geri ,

Kettles in the galley??? Who have you been flying with????

Some interesting replies here:-
(a) Mind your own business.
(b) E-fags mist to be inhaled passively by those who do not wish to do so.
(c) It's the responsibility of the airline/airport staff.
(d) Fuel nearby - death/serious injury threat to many.

For a start the people smoking did not care a whit for anybody else let alone themselves. There is no point trying to explain to those the dangers etc. It appears most others were like sheep and it took one or two passengers to do something about the dangers. I'm not surprised at the attitude of the smokers or the other people in the queue. If I were there the smokers would be ordered to quench the fags immediately and whatever it took I would report the matter to airline/airport staff whichever I would see first. Mobile phones should be turned off around fuels too. How often do you see people smoking or using mobile phones while filling their cars with petrol at filling stations? - Criminal!

My Number 1 Rule is:- Do not be polite when your health/life is in danger. We don't put up with drunken drivers anymore. We wouldn't put up with somebody pointing a gun towards us. Why should we put up with people smoking in our presence? It is our business; act or be a fool.

Back