What will become Unfashionable in a recession

Indeed. I'm just glad my son has outgrown wanting to go to those places. Not that we ever went apart from party invitations.

Edited to add - a lot of the 'luxuries' that will fall by the wayside are things that a lot of children expect because they know no different. Mine included, although there are degrees of luxury, e.g. most kids have a games console, some kids have every games console, all the games and a tv with full sky channels in their bedroom.
It will be interesting to see how they cope with being refused new things or having some things removed e.g. sky. I know that I've refused to upgrade the football boots etc. as often recently and it came as a bit of a shock to the system...
Hopefully kids being adaptable it will all be fine and will teach them useful lessons that I know I for one was guilty of not teaching up to now.

Maybe the drop off in buying consoles etc will see the prices being brought more into line with the rest of europe/the world. We apparently are one of the biggest consumers of gadgets worldwide per capita and yet we are constantly paying more than everyone else.

Lelly kellys (the sparkly kids shoes)
handbags costing more than your weekly take home
08 and 09 cars... just looking recently and there is a lot of 2nd hand in 2008 already
new mobiles for every birthday and Xmas
A week away for leaving cert students... why should they, the rest of us had to make do with a few scoops in the local night club ;-)
cars for teenagers.... I know someone who bought her 18 yr old a brand new Golf GTI as a birthday present, and no they aren't millionaires (i'm over 30 and can't afford one of those)!
Chick Lit.... after all do you want to justify spending €12 on some of the woefully written stuff (yes there is good chick lit, but also a lot of rubbish)
€150+ concert tickets to see some old has been propped up on a stage!

Dog accessories ... and dogs as accessories.

Isn't it amazing how, when we got fed up trying to find new ways to spend money on ourselves, we turned to pampering our pets?

I passed a dog-grooming advert sign today and siad to myself (now there's a business that I won't be getting into in the next few years!" Even people-grooming will be out of fashion (as many have said here).

Also, I'd imagine all those house-grooming (!) shows on TV, such as "Room To Improve" will go for a hop now! :D

Last edited:
Also, I'd imagine all those house-grooming (!) shows on TV, such as "Room To Improve" will go for a hop now! :D

Actually I'd say the opposite.Making do with your house and improving it rather than trading up every few years might be more fashionable.

Reviving this rather than starting a new one.

Over the summer I made a huge effort to put washing on the line rather than using the drier. Yesterday I got an estimated ESB bill along with a letter asking me to call in a reading as they hadn't been able to get one for some time.

Well I took the reading, did a few calculations and discovered I was over estimated by €104 (before VAT). :D Revised bill in the post.

I was telling the woman on the phone that I was trying to economise by putting the washing out and she said everyone was doing it. (and doing my bit for the environment ofcourse).

A sign of a recession in Ireland.......washing hanging on lines up and down the country!! :D

Took over some cook books from the old family home, put them on the shelf next to my own and pretty much forgot them for the next while.

Anyway decided to dig out a few recipes recently, all my own ones are Jamie Oliver, Nigella etc....
All the old ones are things like 'The Good Housekeeping CookBook', 'How to Make Cheap Meals on a Budget', 'The Money Savers Recipe Guide'.

So - expensive ingredient celebrity cookbooks may become unfashionable, no doubt to be replaced by Nigella telling us how to feed a family of 6 on a tenner for a week :)

I'm telling you t'will be back to a few drills of spuds in the back lawn, and none of your foreign fandangles like pasta and pesto and the lord knows what ;)

That is true about the cookbooks, I was making one of Nigellas cheesecakes a while back and the ingredients cost 16euro!

I would just echo what others have mentioned, cleaners, landscapers and big huge cars. Honestly, sometimes I pull up at the petrol pump and the car before me have put 100euro into their car. How are they affording that every week?

I would also say cocaine. I thought it was totally gone out of fashion since the nineties, but apparently some people are still taking it. That will have to be cut out now! Along with going to rehab, that's even more expensive.

I Would Also Say Cocaine. I Thought It Was Totally Gone Out Of Fashion Since The Nineties, But Apparently Some People Are Still Taking It. That Will Have To Be Cut Out Now! Along With Going To Rehab, That's Even More Expensive.

:d

I'm telling you t'will be back to a few drills of spuds in the back lawn, and none of your foreign fandangles like pasta and pesto and the lord knows what ;)
How long have things got to be growing before becoming indigenous? AFAIK your actual humble spud came from America or Italy. :)

How long have things got to be growing before becoming indigenous? AFAIK your actual humble spud came from America or Italy. :)

I think Walter Ralegh brought them back to QE1 from Virginia/America.

Gym memberships.

Probably the one thing I'd hold on to. It's only 299 for the year, most people would spend more than that on booze in a year. And it's good for me... fewer doctors' fees!

So I'd say boozy nights out and the dinner + drinks + dancing on a regular basis out will be a thing of the past.

I don't know about the boozy nights out becoming a thing of the past. During the boom times, the pubs are full on Friday nights with people celebrating the end of another successful week. During recessions, the pubs are full on Friday nights with people celebrating the end of another stressful week.

Back