What was the regime before the CPC was introduced?

D

Dan Murray

The Consumer Protection Code 2006 was introduced on 1st August 2006 and came fully into effect for financial institutions from 1st July 2007.....

Looking for help!! What was the consumer protection regime for mortgage products prior to the CPC 2006?

Looking for help!! What was the consumer protection regime for mortgage products prior to the CPC 2006?

Apologies for "bumping" this - but I'm meeting a solicitor tomorrow regarding this and would like to be able to research a little.

Prior to the CPC 2006, there was a "Code of Practice for Credit Institutions".

- Was this a voluntary code - i.e. was the Financial Regulator responsible for overseeing the operation of this code? and
- Any idea how I could get a copy of this? Any link available?!

Before my time, but might have been an industry led code. You might be looking for
IBF Code of Ethics and Practice

Thanks RedOnion,

Any idea how I can actually view this code?

You gave me a good laugh anyway. Below is the account of the Irish Times upon its introduction in Nov 2000. Plus ca change, etc.

The Irish Bankers' Federation (IBF) has published the first industry-wide Code of Ethics and Practice, which is intended to serve as a model for individual institutions. Mr Sean FitzPatrick, president of the IBF and chief executive of Anglo Irish Bank, addressed industry representatives at the publication of the new code.

He said it was the first step to better practice across the industry. "The industry must do everything in its power to ensure that we do not warrant in the future the degree of criticism that has been meted out to us in recent times."

Looks like the IBF code was a joint one with the ISMA. You might have better look searching for the ISMA document.

Re the CBI one issued in 2001, I've learned it was a 1 page document. It's probably been hidden out of embarrassment!

Back