What value do landlords place on good tenants?

What do we mean by a "good" tenant. Usually someone who pays the rent on time, keeps the place well and doesn't annoy the neighbours. Most landlords don't expect any more than this.

This should be the basic standard that a landlord could expect from any tenant.

What we are calling a discount for a "good" tenant is really just the lack of a premium for a "bad" tenant. If you take on a new tenant, you have no idea how they will behave. The RTB will not protect you if they turn out to be a nightmare. Therefore you must include some element of a premium to cover any problems that might arise. If the RTB would allow you to evict "bad" tenants this would not arise. Rents might drop to "good" tenant levels across the board.

Good tenants are those who treat your property with respect. They undertake minor cosmetic upgrades (eg painting, cleaning gutters etc).

With our dysfunctional rental market there are no options available to reward these good tenants. If you keep the rent down for a good tenant the next tenant benefits if in a RPZ. This is almost like selling your car and giving your No Claims Bonus to the new owner.

Cremeegg I completely agree with you regarding the eviction of the bad tenant but our Govt seem intent on housing everybody no matter how bad they are as tenants. If the RTB had any real powers bad tenants and landlords should be held to account equally rather than the rather one sided position we find ourselves in. Getting an order from the RTB is only the first step in recovering your property and any rent you are owed which in the main needs the involvement of the Courts and the expense of same.

in ireland , the landlord is expected to be an angel , the tenant is viewed as a good tenant if he pays on time and doesnt wreck someone elses property ( when i go into tesco to buy groceries , im not seen as a good customer if i pay what i owe or dont smash up aisle 6 )

one is held to an incredibly high standard , the other to an incredibly low one

When i go into tesco to buy groceries , im not seen as a good customer if i pay what i owe or dont smash up aisle 6 )

Eh, yes you are! Tesco doesn't expect you to take care of its store as if it is your own property. They treat the engagement as a business transaction.
What do you think a hotel would consider a good guest to be???

Eh, yes you are! Tesco doesn't expect you to take care of its store as if it is your own property. They treat the engagement as a business transaction.
What do you think a hotel would consider a good guest to be???

my point was , not wrecking a place is a very low standard to hold someone to , nor is them paying an agreed price for a service

in ireland , the landlord is expected to be an angel , the tenant is viewed as a good tenant if he pays on time and doesnt wreck someone elses property ( when i go into tesco to buy groceries , im not seen as a good customer if i pay what i owe or dont smash up aisle 6 )

one is held to an incredibly high standard , the other to an incredibly low one

This type of argument just sounds moronic to me. All tenants are required to pay deposits to landlords in advance in case any damage is done to property. Tesco dont ask for a deposit when you go in their shop as far as I know. Unless they ask you for one

A deposit is very little protection for a landlord against damage to property. You typically have to pay a greater deposit to hire a car than rent a house.

This type of argument just sounds moronic to me. All tenants are required to pay deposits to landlords in advance in case any damage is done to property. Tesco dont ask for a deposit when you go in their shop as far as I know. Unless they ask you for one
One month's rent doesn't go very far when you have a bad tenant who overstays for 2 years without paying rent, and then trashes the place on the way out.

Back