What to use to preserve timber fences?

Jolly Man

Folks,

Hoping to go painting my post and rail fence the weekend and looking for a good alternative to creosote, as its not available to buy anymore!

Hello Jolly Man . Ronseal one coat Fence Life , I have used this and it looks great. It comes in a few colours , and is very easy to apply . Not to dear either . I got it in woodies but think it would be common place in Garden stores diy shops and the like .

I presume you mean creosote? Is that still available? I thought that it was banned as a carcinogen or something?

Creosote is now banned for farm use under EU Directives 2001/90/EEC(1) — because of carcinogenic potential

Thanks guys i reckon i will probably go with the ronseal fence life unless of course i can get my hands on a wood use creosote.
As far as i know it is only companys with chemical handling facilities are now allowed use it.

Sounds like it might be irresponsible to use creosote even if you could get your hands on it - especially if it might affect you, your neighbours, kids, pets, wildlife etc.

Back