What to do with your apt if you don't want to sell but no longer want to rent it? Holiday swap?

PaxmanK

It seems yesterday's news is a hot topic among my peer group who own second properties.

They all seem to be looking to sell or just leave it there for the odd own use it kids maybe when uni starts.
But the common thread is that they don't want to rent them out anymore for the meagre profits they would get vs all the rule changing and general pain a landlord will have to ensure, or worse.

Two guys at work this morning had been speaking last night about doing holiday swaps. It looks like you can let people use your property and get a certain amount of points per night used and then use those points to rent out properties abroad that you would like to stay in. I will find out more.

I thought that was a great idea.
I'm thinking this will get big in Ireland.
There may be a business opportunity here

Anyone got any other ideas.

Last edited:
Well I won't be starting the business myself anyway, but if someone did, I would be very interested in using it.
Such services exist already but I think they could really take off in Ireland now.
I'm actually surprised airbnb haven't got in on this points and swapping system.

I'm more interested in other ways of getting an income from.yiur property if you decide to keep it but not rent it myself if anyone has any other ideas.

Airbnb make a lot more money from service fees in their current model. There's nothing for them to gain by facilitating swaps.

Back