What to do with alot of grass from lawns

nod

I cut lawns part-time for people,from which I bring home alot of grass.Last year I gave this grass to my fathers cattle,he didn't mind (and the cattle didn'nt either !),but he has retired and sold all the cattle since. I considered buying a horse and feeding it to him but was advised that he might get colic,potentially fatal. Would be unwilling to give it to neighbouring farmers in case something might happen their cattle.
Would be very difficult to compost this amount of grass

Grass beginning to pile up,any ideas.

Whereabouts are you? There is a green recycling place in Lucan which takes garden waste - don't know if they have restrictions on the amount or if they charge.

Civic Amenity Centres (or recycling centres)

Civic amenity centres are similar to bring centres, but can accept a larger variety of items. They are usually staffed, so there will be someone there to give you advice or information. These sites collect everything from paper, cardboard, plastic and glass bottles, drinks cans and food tins, textiles and footwear, electrical equipment, fluorescent tubes, waste oil, to DIY waste and construction and demolition waste. Some centres also collect green waste like Christmas trees and grass clippings. Check with your local authority to see if there is a centre near you.

Good Luck ;)

Do you have to bring it home- can you not get the individual house holders to dispose of it?

Vanilla,
in some places I can leave the grass,others places I have to bring to bring it home,usually a full 6/4ft trailer load most days.
Janet/Dobber22
I'm in Limerick,the council have a recyling plant in Annacotty at which they accept all green waste,the problem is they are only open on mondays from 9-1pm.They should be open every day but say they don't have the staff,the government is trying to encourage people to re-cycle,and penalising them for not doing so,yet this facility is only open once a week,crazy or what.
I suppose I could "stock pile" the grass and go there every week,would be very messy and time consuming.

Bit of a problem alright. You could stockpile the grass, and make your own very large compost heap if you have the room and the equipment and sell on some lovely compost to all your clients next year? Only alternative is what you already mentioned, talk to a local farmer, ask if they want the grass, any risk being their own.

nod said:
Vanilla,
in some places I can leave the grass,others places I have to bring to bring it home,usually a full 6/4ft trailer load most days.
Janet/Dobber22
I'm in Limerick,the council have a recyling plant in Annacotty at which they accept all green waste,the problem is they are only open on mondays from 9-1pm.They should be open every day but say they don't have the staff,the government is trying to encourage people to re-cycle,and penalising them for not doing so,yet this facility is only open once a week,crazy or what.
I suppose I could "stock pile" the grass and go there every week,would be very messy and time consuming.

I'm in Limerick myself and was under the impression these places were open at least 5 days a week 1 day a week is scandalous I think you should highlight this to your local councilor one man who seems to get things done is our own Willie O'Dea, as you say they are trying like crazy to get people to dispose of waste correctly but when it comes down to it people like you are limited when they should have at least a few days to dispose of unwanted waste.

[broken link removed]

If you are cutting the same lawns frequently consider buying a mulcher mower where you won't have to collect the grass chippings at all - mind it won't be much good to you if your clients are calling you out once a month to do a clean up job. :)

If you father was previously a farmer I take it that he had a bit of land some where. If he didn't sell it maybe it would be possible for you to commandeer a tiny corner of a field and dispose of the cuttings that way.

Custhie,
seems like the only solution
Demoivre
I have a mulcher mower also,two problems,people don't want to pay you to cut the grass every 5-7 days,if you mulch any later than that it looks unsightly,so you have to collect.
On another similar subject,what do you think is a fair amount to charge for cutting a lawn every 2 weeks at a typical house in a typical estate,front and back,taking away the grass ecah time.

So what do you charge? And do you landscape as well as mow lawns? And if so, what do you charge for this, or is that like asking how long is a piece of string?

Just trying some quick and cheap Market Reaserch !

Generally charge €15-20 per cut ever 2 weeks,all edges strimmed and grass removed,an average of approx. 15 cuts per year,I think the kingdom would be too far for me vanilla,any idea what they charge down there.

Larger lawns,like 1/4 - 1/2 acre would be more of course,depends on how long they take.

Don't do any lanscaping,have more than enough work just cutting lawns to keep me going

I know my dad pays €20 to get his lawn cut and its about 1/4 of an acre, I guess. Couldnt resist asking about the landscaping, have a very large garden of my own that I would love to get cut and landscaped, but think it would bankrupt me as its over half an acre.

Vanilla
Landscaping is definetly very expensive nowadays. A cheaper alternative is to get a landscaper to do up a details drawing of the area,showing type and location of all plants,tree's and hard landscape features (patio,statues,pagoda's,kerbing,etc). From this drawing,you could either do it yourself a bit at a time,or get someone in.

Thanks Nod, will definitely think about it. Some friends of mine who live in a new estate with a very small garden recently got a quote from a landscaper for €20,000 to do their garden. And its TINY! May leave the wildlife on mine in peace for a while yet!

Back