What to do with 100k

coolaboola12

Hi all

I have 100k on deposit, no mortgage and maxing out my pension with 100% equities

Is a buy to let the best place for my 100k?

Thanks for any advice

A few questions:

1. Do you own your home outright?
2. Does your home need any renovations or improvements?
3. Do you have any dependants and, if so, what age they?
4. What age are you?
5. What size is your pension fund?
6. Do you have a spouse and, if so, do they work and have a pension?

1. Yes
2. No
3. One aged 7 but we have college money pit away
4. 43
5. 120k, maxing out contributions now and just did also for 2022
6. Teacher with full govt pension

Thanks.

In your shoes, I think I would invest the bulk of the €100k in a global equity investment trust like FCIT.

Thanks.

In your shoes, I think I would invest the bulk of the €100k in a global equity investment trust like FCIT.
Ok thanks, interesting. Why not the buy to let and why the investment trust ?

Is that bought like a normal share via the likes of degiro ?

Last edited:
Why not the buy to let and why the investment trust ?
You already have significant investments in Irish property - your home. Investing in a buy to let concentrates risk in one asset class and geographic region. In general that should be avoided. Plus, you're unlikely to buy a place for €100k so will need leverage (borrowing) which further exacerbates the risk.
But we don't really have enough details about your overall financial/personal circumstances to say for sure. E.g. any debts and other savings/investments. It really needs a Money Makeover thread.

You already have significant investments in Irish property - your home. Investing in a buy to let concentrates risk in one asset class and geographic region. In general that should be avoided. Plus, you're unlikely to buy a place for €100k so will need leverage (borrowing) which further exacerbates the risk.
But we don't really have enough details about your overall financial/personal circumstances to say for sure. E.g. any debts and other savings/investments. It really needs a Money Makeover thread.
No I'm a simple case really, no debt of any kind, no investments just pension

Doesn't putting the 100k into an investment trust create a large amount of risk within the equity space ?

Doesn't putting the 100k into an investment trust create a large amount of risk within the equity space ?
It creates some risk but if your timeframe is long enough (maybe 10+ years) then that mitigates the risk. Investing in equities also spreads the risk compared to concentrating it in one asset class and geographic region/economy.

It creates some risk but if your timeframe is long enough (maybe 10+ years) then that mitigates the risk. Investing in equities also spreads the risk compared to concentrating it in one asset class and geographic region/economy.
Is the trust mentioned above bought on degiro for example ? Thanks for the info

Is the trust mentioned above bought on degiro for example ? Thanks for the info
I don't know and I wouldn't be a fan of such specific suggestions. I would suggest that you invest in a diversified basket of equities, whatever that may be in practice. It doesn't have to be lots and could even be a single share like Berkshire Hathaway or a similar diversified conglomerate which can arguably act like a proxy fund, ETF, or market tracker. Just to be clear, that's just an example and not a stock tip/recommendation.

Given the questions that you are asking I would suggest that you consider getting independent professional advice.

I don't know and I wouldn't be a fan of such specific suggestions. I would suggest that you invest in a diversified basket of equities, whatever that may be in practice. It doesn't have to be lots and could even be a single share like Berkshire Hathaway or a similar diversified conglomerate which can arguably act like a proxy fund, ETF, or market tracker. Just to be clear, that's just an example and not a stock tip/recommendation.

Given the questions that you are asking I would suggest that you consider getting independent professional advice.
What don't you like about the trust suggestion

Why that specific instrument in this specific case?
Because FCIT is very diversified, holding interests in hundreds of companies across the globe.

And because the taxation of funds/ETFs is pretty horrible/complex.

I agree with you that we really need a Money Makeover thread to offer more focussed advice.

Because FCIT is very diversified, holding interests in hundreds of companies across the globe.

And because the taxation of funds/ETFs is pretty horrible/complex.

I agree with you that we really need a Money Makeover thread to offer more focussed advice.
How is FCIT taxed and how do you make an annual return ?

It seems the advice on here is biased against property

Nothing wrong with the equity suggestion

My concern about that is how accessible and liquid it is

So if you wanted to go on holidays you night say to yourself.. I'll just take 10k for the holiday.
And then I'll just take 4k for the Christmas.

A house is less easy to dip into.

And if there are ups and downs you will tend soldier through them.

And history has proven property goes up over time.

There are number of advantages to property which i can go into but one i like is the rental income.. especially when fully paid off.

Only question really is do you want to be a landlord.

https://www.*****************.com/investment-trusts-vs-etfs.html

Seems to explain taxation (like shares CGT for capital gain and income tax for dividends

It seems the advice on here is biased against property

Nothing wrong with the equity suggestion

My concern about that is how accessible and liquid it is

So if you wanted to go on holidays you night say to yourself.. I'll just take 10k for the holiday.
And then I'll just take 4k for the Christmas.

A house is less easy to dip into.

And if there are ups and downs you will tend soldier through them.

And history has proven property goes up over time.

There are number of advantages to property which i can go into but one i like is the rental income.. especially when fully paid off.

Only question really is do you want to be a landlord.
I agree with this, I'm an impulsive person and have found leaving stock positions open for extended periods of time very difficult. It's ok with the pension because I can't close the positions but I think I'd struggle if I saw a 100k position lose 20%

If the house was generating rental income and lost 20% of it's value I don't think that would bother me

If the house was generating rental income and lost 20% of it's value I don't think that would bother me
Logically that’s no different to receiving dividends on an investment trust that has had a downturn in its capital value.

But if you can’t stomach the fluctuations that come with any risk asset, then maybe you should just stick with bank deposits.

Back