What to do when problem with Builder

Obrien

We have had a relatively painful experience with some work recently completed by Builder. Visual and often simple stuff has been off, very obviously done wrong and had to ask a few times to be corrected. Now its done and dusted barring cleaning up mess. I have a jarring feeling that there is the potential for some problems we are not aware of ie Plumbing or Electric, giving the problems there has been in general. What is the maximum amount of time and reason I can have for delaying final payment approx. 23 % Problems have been raised and always shot down as emanating from another source. Obviously I hope its all good and its just a bad feeling but we don't want to be stuck with problems down the line and finding it difficult for him to take responsibility of fixing them (if it comes to that)

When you say there's 23% held back, is this on a contract with witnesses, or is it just something you guys talked about?

Hi noproblem. No it hasn't been anything formal, I have made two payments in stages, the bulk of the work is now finished. Builder returned to fix some small things, not to go on and on as I feel I have in regard to this work with family and friends, but he made one thing worse and there are more and more items coming to light as we are moved back in that are just shoddily done. I'm at a loss how to proceed. I need to make the final payment but am so irate and also concerned that major issues may come to light further down the line given the obvious errors made which I can see

Impossible to know what's happening between you and the builder without having a lot more information. Are we talking about a big job, was p/p needed, are there conditions attached, what sort of money involved, was electrical work carried out and signed off by a registered electrician, was an engineer used to draw up plans, to monitor the work, inspect different stages of the build, who purchased supplies, what issues are you talking about, are there grants involved, etc, etc, etc.?

Did you have any clause in your contract that x% would be withheld for a period after completion?

Back