What to do next after survey done?

sabinalee

Hi .

I hope someone will advise how to act next?

We sale agreed on the house last week.
The structural survey was finished and got report yesterday.

First of all - the EA sold us fake information about age of the house.
- instead of about 40 years old the real age is approximately 70 years old!! If we knew we would not go at all for the asking price.

- on the roof two of collar tie ( horizontal timber mid roof) supports the roof have been cut and removed to improve access to the boiler.
- chimney will have to be relined. Limited water ingress through the chimney is occurring and the timber in direct contact with the chimney is partly affected
- a roof light window and it's double glazing is badly cracked
- Did not realized heating boiler is approx 15 year old
- 4 windows must be changed as they not meet safety/ escape regulations
-electric meter is from 1973. Older Thank me even :)

To be honest, we do not know what to do...pull off, renegotiate price...

No house is perfect and we should know what we are getting yourself in for.

But we don't know....and so stressed :(

How much are you paying for the house?

That would be a lot of work on a house which you are paying €100k for.

It would be less relevant on a house you are paying €600k for.

You knew it wasn't in walk-in condition if it was 40 years old. What was your budget for repairs? How much will these cost?

Brendan

I understand how stressful it is to get a survey and be disappointed, but these issues like this are to be expected in a house of 40 years +.
I have been through it a few times.

I would ask the surveyor what his/her opinion is of the quality of the build of the house. Being built in the 40s does not make it a poorer quality house that one built in the 70s. Some architects would argue that overall standards in building were higher then ( sweeping statement, I know).

Even if the house was build in the 70s, an old boiler, meter and windows which do not meet current standards are not unexpected.

If you ask to renegotiate the price, they might pull out and ask the underbidder if they are interested.

If you are not prepared to buy a house with an old boiler and meter, and minor structural fixable issues, you should pull out and look for a newer house.

If you want the house, and the location is good and things that cant be fixed like the quality of the build and the size of the garden are what you want, think about going for it.

Its a big decision and I feel for you, but you need to decide if this is the right house and if it is, accept the flaws.

Fake information? Personally I think this language is a bit Trumpish. No one should believe much of what an estate agent says, you just need to get the survey done and if you are unhappy with what it reveals you then need to renegotiate on price.
Sometimes you just have to weigh up the convenience of buying a brand new house against an older property needing work. Often the older property has a lot going for it, nice site, convenient to services, mature estate etc.

thank you for all your words.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable that after good few years of saving, and finally in our 40s we can afford the property but only in a rural place. But well....we are happy that we got a chance and et's skip my deep frustration☺

We did not realised EA will go for 30 years older more than presented on viewing.
I asked local people about that small estate and there are pluses like the quiet central location, close to schools, shops.
Houses there are build well, and the size of the garden beautifully kept is a big plus.

Property asking price is 165.000 and about 30.000 -40.000 than other houses sold more than one ago in the same estate.
The vendor want to get exactly above amount as already put deposit for a new, smaller bungalow in same town.

The newer 3 bed houses in the town selling for approx 150. New 3 beds were priced 175.000 in December 2016 but they gone.
The spectacular garden, marble fireplaces, granite worktops....and overall condition sound good.
We just have to ask ourselves if we do not make mistake.... Price is high for 70 old terraced house plus we will have to spendo about 10-12 grands for minor issues.

You all right with what you saying....

But should I even mention lowering the price or ask tge EA or our Solicitor and try to request to repair anything?

I'm sorry, but I feel sometimes that I not belong for same country I use too ☺ Rent is easier, but became harder.

Thank you

Last edited:
First things first. You seem to have given the EA a refundable "expression of interest" deposit. No contracts have been exchanged and you can demand your deposit back and walk away, which is what I suggest you do. If the EA asks why, say he lied to you and tell his client too.

I've written about this mythical "Sale Agreed" stage in the house selling/buying process before and it is meaningless from a legal perspective and I believe it might be an attempt to give buyers the impression they are legally bound to proceed to closing. You are not!!!

EAs lie, it says so on their advertising and on their brochures. "Nothing printed or stated here is a commitment to truth and we cannot be held liable if you choose to believe it and discover the lies afterwards", to paraphrase the actual wording. Get you deposit back ASAP and move on. If a cursory non-invasive survey found that many serious faults, God alone knows how bad the house really is.

Last edited:
...and the outbreak of woodworm in the timber is active. Is this structural issue? Surveyors said it has to be carried now, to prevent further damage to the roof timbers.

Is this costly to inspect and repair by a proffesional?

Last edited:
...and the outbreak of woodworm in the timber is active. Is this structural issue? Surveyors said it has to be carried now, to prevent further damage to the roof timbers.

Is this costly to inspect and repair by a proffesional?

My main concern with this house is the structural damage that was carried out on the roof. Have you got repair quotations for this work, it could run Into thousands.

You can pull out of the sale if you feel the renovation cost will be too high or if the vendor is not willing to negotiate. Treat carefully and buyer beware here.

@sabinalee You've spent money on a survey and now you propose spending money on a more in-depth investigation. The answers are "Yes" and "No-one knows until you spend more money". You seem determined to proceed - the best of luck with your decisions.

Back