AIB What to do after the AIB Appeals Panel has rejected your appeal

Brendan Burgess

Founder
So far, everyone seems to be getting the same rejection letter from the AIB Appeals Panel which you can read in this thread:

AIB's Appeals Panel standard rejection letter on prevailing rate issue

Other than completing the rejection slip and sending it back, you don't need to do anything else for the moment.

According to AIB, you now have 6 months in which to make a complaint to the Ombudsman or to go to the Court.

If you followed the pro forma appeal I set out and made the pro forma reply, then you should hold off doing anything for the moment.

There is no advantage in going to the Ombudsman early in the process.

There are a few other cases with the Ombudsman already and we might have more information on these within the 6 months. I will keep this thread updated.

But it is important that you do go to the Ombudsman before the 6 months is up.

Brendan

Last edited:
If you made an appeal based on your own individual circumstances, then you should go to the Ombudsman.

One contributor TracAIB had a very specific case.

• She had half on fixed and half on tracker
  • She broke out of that tracker in early November
  • She had a very specific response from AIB and not the standard pro-forma response
As she has different arguments, she has nothing to gain by waiting and she should go to the Ombudsman now.

Brendan

Just to clarify , we also got the exact same response , do we tick the rejection box and post it back or put something in writing with it ? Thanks

So far, everyone seems to be getting the same rejection letter from the AIB Appeals Panel which you can read in this thread:

Other than completing the rejection slip and sending it back, you don't need to do anything else for the moment.

According to AIB, you now have 6 months in which to make a complaint to the Ombudsman or to go to the Court.

If you followed the pro forma appeal I set out and made the pro forma reply, then you should hold off doing anything for the moment.

There are a few other cases with the Ombudsman already and we might have more information on these within the 6 months. I will keep this thread updated.

Brendan
Thank you Brendan

Hi thanks for all help & advice on these forums, So this was our reply to the first appeal form filled out via the advice here, thank you Brendan.
We asked for extension so were later submitting our appeal.... se reply in photo below

I also have been affected by the interest issue with a top up loan from many yrs ago & got refunded this week & also my PPI on my Mortgage (which in the first place should never had been sold to me as i was self employed, i stopped it a few years back highlighting this to the bank but got no-where) just recent i got a cheque in the post for half of it back as they stated they made a mistake there also charging me for full cover of my mortgage when i had only asked for half of the Mortgage amount to be covered. So 3 major transactions with the AIB they have admitted been at fault.

Attachments

• 81A26BBB-B1ED-4D19-9130-D9BFE381FB79.jpeg
    81A26BBB-B1ED-4D19-9130-D9BFE381FB79.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 637
Hi Phisio

That is interesting. When did you submit your first appeal?

I think that they must be ignoring the cut off date.

The rejection letter will come from the Panel. They make the decision, not AIB.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,
That was our first appeal, they extended our deadline until end of July so only sent it in recently.

Last edited:

Brendan
Hi Brendan, I have received a similar rejection letter as well, I will sent back the rejection reply slip and wait to go back to ombudsman. Thanks for your advice on all.of this!

There is no need to go to the Ombudsman on the prevailing rate issue yet.
There are a few cases before the Ombudsman at present and you should wait until you see how the Ombudsman rules on those arguments.

If he upholds them, then you can proceed on the same basis.

If he rejects them, then there is no point in making those arguments and you would need to find a new line of approach.

Brendan

Hi Brendan,
I'm still awaiting a response from the Panel, the Ombudsman has prompted me a number of times to advise where my case it at and if id like to continue my complaint with them.
What should i do if I'm unsuccessful in my appeal, should I also hold on on referring my case back to the Ombudsman ?
Thanks

HI Brendan,

The cases you have mentioned that are before the Ombudsman at the moment, have any of them been completed at this stage?

Thank you.

The cases you have mentioned that are before the Ombudsman at the moment, have any of them been completed at this stage?

Not yet.

But both sides have completed their submissions so we are waiting for the Ombudman's decision.

I have no idea how long it will take though.

Brendan

Thank you for your response Brendan, our case is currently being sent for your review with the Tracker panel with BDO. I am not hopeful of a positive outcome.

HI Brendan,

Thank you.

Back