What to charge for grinds?

My brother gave maths grinds to LC students over the last few years in Galway. He got €30 per hour and did pretty well from it. Now the bad bit, over a month ago he got a letter from the revenue saying they had info that he was doing this and to call to his local revenue office, which he did. I don't know where this office is, but they had information on all the students he was giving grinds to. The parents had asked revenue if they were entitled to any tax relief and had gotten all the info they required, also got other grinds people. Now he's got quite a substantial tax bill to deal with + other charges. If I were you, i'd be very careful and even then, you cannot be sure.

My brother gave maths grinds to LC students over the last few years in Galway. He got €30 per hour and did pretty well from it. Now the bad bit, over a month ago he got a letter from the revenue saying they had info that he was doing this and to call to his local revenue office,

Why is this 'the bad bit'? It's great news for the rest of us.

A teacher I know well charges 20 an hour and is happy with that as its a tax free nixer. It does not be long adding up.

@madlebrot would that be D Case I - with 'wholly and necessarily' deuctions?
The other way is to charge for the room - rent a room relief?

I'd be interested to hear what kind of deductions you'd think would be allowable?! They would be very minimal.

(Presume you're joking about rent a room relief!)

@mandletrot
I thought rent-a-room could apply - is sleeping required? Periodic use / over a period / non exclusive - its worth a try.

Actual expenses incurred including books, materials, heating. travel (as incurred) - not huge but a principle at stake here.

Back