AIB What the AIB Redress means to me

Lainey82

First I just wanted to say a massive thank you to Brendan, because without him this never would’ve happened nor would I have been kept so informed and up to date about everything that was going on.

I took out my mortgage in 2008 and fixed for 3 years at a rate of 5.2%. 6 months later the market crashed and mortgage rates, especially tracker rates, decreased hugely, but I was still paying 5.2% - the consequence of an uneducated Mortgage decision.

When the tracker mortgage scandal broke I became very aware of it, like most Irish people, but did not realise it applied to me. In March 2018, out of the blue, I got a letter from AIB with a cheque for €1615 explaining that they had committed a “service failure” by not offering me a tracker mortgage after my first fixed term period ended. They told me that I had suffered no real loss because had they offered me a tracker it would’ve been 7.9%. The letter and they’re explanation seemed very plausible at the time, especially to someone uneducated in financial services. I was so happy with this unexpected cheque that I didn’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth especially when I didn’t even realise I was effected by the tracker mortgage scandal.

About 9/10 months later, I heard Brendan Burgess on the radio explaining that the “plausible” argument put forward by AIB was not very plausible at all. He outlined his argument in such an articulate and easy to understand manner that I soon began questioning my initial estimation of AIBs letter. I joined the askaboutmoney forum where Brendan had laid out his argument and given a step-by-step guide (essentially a dummies guide to) to put in an appeal to Independent Appeals Panel.

It ended up being a long drawn out process but Brendan and askaboutmoney users were there every step of the way to offer guidance, support and advice. Had it not been for Brendan’s frequent updates about what was going on I don’t think any of us would have had a clue about what the state of play was. And needless to say I definitely would not have known why last night there was a capital reduction taken off my mortgage by AIB. I’ve had no contact from AIB whatsoever and the amount taken off would appear to be an extremely random amount if you were unaware of the FSPO ruling and the 12%. Had it not been for Brendan, I would’ve been so confused by this reduction last night considering zero contact from AIB.

This capital reduction will reduce my monthly repayments by over €200. This is very welcome especially in a time of financial uncertainty due to COVID 19. It would’ve been nice if AIB had kept me informed or even told me about this. Considering their “customers first”motto, I find it appalling how they’ve treated this cohort who have only ever looked for AIB to right the wrong that they made. Thank you again Brendan and all the askaboutmoney users for fighting this good fight, keeping us informed and offering the much needed support and guidance that AIB were obviously so lacking.

Last edited:
Hi, We also got our write down. I have no online banking for my mortgage but rang that 0818 number from above.

This is truly life changing and will enable us to knock 4-5 years off our mortgage if we keep the same payments as yesterday up. The cheque coming will also give us a nice boost to savings and give us security that we never really had.

So we get the immediate benefit now but like I said finishing the mortgage 4-5 years early could be live changing in 15 years time. Who knows, it might allow us to retire early, help the kids buy houses, go on more holidays..... My mind is racing.

We tried not to get too excited until it actually happened.

So @Brendan Burgess we thank you so so much for fighting this on our behalf. you changed our lives.

I was so surprised to see the capital reduction when I checked my balance this morning. Like a lost of posters on the forum I wasn't ever going to believe this was happening until I saw it with my own eyes. I still can't fathom how AIB can do this without so much as communicating with borrows but just goes to show once again that customers are not at the centre of their thinking (contrary to their motto).

In any case the capital reduction and interest payment are so welcomed. I'm like a lot of people and my property is in negative equity but the capital reduction will definitely reduce that and probably bring me into some positive equity. The interest payment will be well received to bolster savings also.

Thanks again to Brendan for all his relentless campaigning on this issue.

Again to echo @Lainey82 sentiments to @Brendan Burgess myself and family are forever grateful for his efforts and persistence with this. Twice we were told to give up on this, that we were on the correct rate and there wasn't anything significantly wrong with what AIB had done.

We took out our mortgage in August 2008 immediately prior to the arrival of our first born that September. We fixed for 3 years initially but things quickly deteriorated with the global financial crash and our child being born with a critical health condition. She required 24x7 care from birth for many months and was touch and go for a long time requiring several life saving surgeries. In that first year we suffered wage cuts, my partner was made redundant, our daughter required 24x7 care, the sale fell through on our apartment adding a second mortgage and making us landlords! We went onto interest only on both mortgages and towards the end requested our options from AIB explaining our plight.

They sent us some very attractive offers in 2009 we had been paying €1400pm interest only(€1700 full) on the house and these new payments were less than 1k, it seemed a no brainer to break. The breakage fee was in excess of 10k which AIB agreed to do us the favor :rolleyes: of sticking on the mortgage and the cost would be offset by the end of the original fixed term by the savings made.

It was short lived however as AIB had in fact sent a quote containing only Interest Only repayments and not as I had thought full captial as requested. Some were clearly Interest Only but others blatantly not clear. We made 2 of these Interest Only payments believing them to be full before they reverted to full capital. This was my first "Service Failure" from AIB. I protested to AIB that it made no sense what they had done and there was no logic in me switching as there were very limited savings. It fell on deaf ears and they apologized for the misleading quote but hid behind obligations saying they had done nothing wrong and too much time had pasted to change anything. I complained to the FSPO but messed it up and it was dismissed. This mistake had cost me dearly at the time but I didn't have the knowledge to fight it. I explained we were in need of help and had requested several times my options from AIB and never thought they would withhold any from me and would act in my best interest(foolish but I knew no better)

From 2009 to 2015 financially were very tough times for myself and family, indeed for a lot of people. We sacrificed everything to keep on top of bills, pay both mortgages and provide for the family. Ultimately we lost the apartment in 2014 as we could no longer keep up full repayments, we had until that point but after loosing medical cards, further wage cuts and tax increases it was unsustainable and the bank moved to repossess it. When I look back at the missed life events(e.g. Milestone birthdays, Weddings, Holidays, family days out) its impossible to quantify the affect this has had on my family what we sacraficed to service these debts. We did at all times believing we did it to ourselves and had to pay our way out.

Fast forward to March 2018 and the arrival of the cheque, I contacted the bank and was fed and accepted the same spiel it was a nothing to see here we're giving this money as an apology for a "Service Failure" that didn't actually cost you anything now be glad of it and go away type response. I was busy still dealing with the fallout from loosing the apartment and had enough of banks just wanting to put it all behind me. I would of done too if it wasn't for a random conversation 18 months ago too that prompted me to look for the justification for the cheque again that led me to AAB.

Brendan just wouldn't let it go and didn't listen to the banks strawman arguments that so many (myself included) fell for he kept bringing it back to the facts. You know the rest of the story he championed the cause, coordinated actions and drafted the complaints. Move over Dr Holohan you certainly have a rival in this house tonight :D

In money terms this is huge. A 40k principal reduction, 19k interest refund and then €200 pm going forward towards swimming lessons, music lessons, sports kits, holidays all the stuff the kids have been denied and told maybe next year for as long as I remember. This money only starts to put right the wrongs done to this family of 6 by AIB.

Just to close out the little girl born in 2008 with a very uncertain future is now a healthy 11 year old she still has a few challenges to overcome but time has been kind and medicine advanced that what was a near fatal condition in 2008 is still serious but the treatments far less risky so her future is certainly brighter too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This mistake had cost me dearly at the time but I didn't have the knowledge to fight
This one line really resonated with me because I think this was the problem from the start. None of us had the knowledge to fight and AIB took advantage of this. If it wasn’t for @Brendan Burgess who did have the knowledge to fight we wouldn’t be where we are today. And I also echo your “move over Dr Holohan” sentiments, Brendan you deserve so much recognition, kudos and far far more for your tenacity on this and keeping us all so well informed.

We took out our mortgage in September 2008. We re-mortgaged our previous house and kept it as an investment, a very poor investment decision as it happened given the ensuing crash. So we ended up with an investment property on a tracker and our present home on a 3 year fixed rate. At the end of our fixed rate in 2011 I had been expecting to be given the option of a tracker, however the letter we received did not have this option so the we rolled on to the standard variable rate. I figured this was my own fault for my poor decision making and decided to just get on with it.

This caused considerable hardship particularly when AIB started raising rates in 2012, at one stage our rate was as high as 4.40% in 2014 I think. Also during this period the rental market was not great and we struggled to let our investment property and the rent was well short of the mortgage payment. Throughout those years I never missed a mortgage payment on either property however we sacrificed a lot to achieve this. Luckily I remained in full time employment throughout the recession however, I would listen to my peers discussing holidays, doing up their homes and other spending and basically say nothing. If I wanted to go to a restaurant or for a few pints these became significant financial decisions for me. I prioritised putting food on the table for my family over any other spending and suffered in silence continuing to pay my mortgages. I did consider personal insolvency but took a long term view and struggled through it for the guts of a decade. Thankfully the last couple of years have been kinder as I have become solvent due to paying down the mortgages and the property and rental markets rising (although I am conscious that this has meant hardship for other people). I have literally only got my house furnished properly in the last couple of years!! Needless to say if we had been offered a tracker in 2011 this would have helped considerably.

I always suspected we should have been offered a tracker and this was confirmed when I received the cheque for 1615 out of the blue in March 2018. When I read the letter which accompanied the cheque I knew something was wrong. I came across askaboutmoney.com and realised I was not alone. I can safely say if it wasn't for Brendan and the support on this website I never would have stuck with the appeal and would have thrown in the towel long ago. I cant thank Brendan enough for his persistence and focus on this matter and he has achieved a result for so many people that I never thought would be possible.

Like everyone else looking at the amount written down in disbelief that it finally happened for me it took a good bit of the day to sink in what it would mean for me personally. Mortgage taken out in 2008 and denied tracker after 3yrs like everyone else. Thinking back today about sometimes struggling to pay the basics like car tax or esb and being unable to afford to send my daughter to college due to Mortgage commitments on top of that my wife had heart failure 3yrs ago at 43 and hasn't been able to work since the realisation after fantasising about maby a holiday or a good spending spree that it is now possible to send my next child to third level brought tears to my eyes today. Thank you @Brendan Burgess for making a huge difference to one 17year old boys life.

That's great news that they have got around to it at long last.

Imagine the surprise of the people who know nothing about it and when they check their mortgage balance to see it has been reduced by 12%! And no letter telling them why.

Brendan
Brendan that was us last night!! Thank you a million times, we initially got the €1615 in March 18 but I presumed that was it and hadn't kept up with unfolding story, I've been dealing with stage 4 cancer with last 5 yrs and we weren't able to get life insurance for me on the mortgage so this is a huge relief to see the balance significantly reduced, if something should happen me it will mean less financial pressure on my husband,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back