What size stove needed?

aokeefe

Hi, I'm getting a stove with back boiler installed in my (6yr old) home in place of an open fire without back boiler. I also have oil central heating.
I have been told that a radiator (when talking in terms of how many a stove can heat) is considered to be 1 x 4 foot single radiator. Is this correct?
If this is the case then I have 22 radiators in my house which has an existing 2 zone heating system.
I was thinking of getting a Boru (Carraig Mor) 20k.w. stove. It claims to heat up to 14 radiators (which is prob really around 12) and seems relatively small stove for this output as I don't want it taking over the room and I can use it for one zone at a time and also use oil heating as needed. Or would I be better off going with the 30k.w. version (claims to heat 18 radiators)? It may look very big in my room and would it be practical to have a stove with a grate that large?
I'm open to other stove makes etc. if there are better/more suitable ones available.
All feeedback would be gratefully accepted as this will be quite an expensive job and I want to get it right. Thanks!!!!

google "what size stove" and there are many websites that have a room calculator for the job.

Visit a few different shops/stove sellers for their advice etc is all I can offer you.

Personally I would go for an enamel stove as we went for matt first and found it very dusty and hard to clean (others will disagree...)

I use a much more complex calculation for exact sizing, however, the following is accurate enough for what you require:

Halls/Kitchen/Utility/WC/Bedroom (18C) = Multiply Room Length x Width x Height x 33
Walk-in Wardrobe/Study/Office (21C) = Multiply Room Length x Width x Height x 40
Living Room/Family/Dining (21C) = Multiply Room Length x Width x Height x 40
Consevatory (21C) = Multiply Room Length x Width x Height x 60
Bathroom/En-suite (24C) = Multiply Room Length x Width x Height x 50

Back