What should we as a nation do to move forward?

what kind of suggestions did he have soy? i think everyone i have discussed this with agrees that the political system is either broken or not fit for purpose (or both!). #1 how do you go anout changing a political system? and #2 what types of political systems are out there that would attract a better calibre of politician?
majee

I like sustanon outlook on things. Since I'm in the US, I don't have a grasp of the Ireland issues. BUT, there are financial & government issues all over the world. I think that most people don't have a clue what to do since it is so widespread. One problem I truly believe is that we KNOW too much now because of the media. Of course, all we know is what they tell us. AND the media loves a juicy story.

what kind of suggestions did he have soy? i think everyone i have discussed this with agrees that the political system is either broken or not fit for purpose (or both!). #1 how do you go anout changing a political system? and #2 what types of political systems are out there that would attract a better calibre of politician?
majee

The article was published in the Irish Times [broken link removed]
I would not agree with all of it, but there is a lot of sense in there.

I am no expert on political systems, but maybe we need to look at how other smaller countries run their affairs to see if we can copy the best bits. The Scandanavian countries and places such as Switzerland seem to be successful

The article was published in the Irish Times [broken link removed]
I would not agree with all of it, but there is a lot of sense in there.

I am no expert on political systems, but maybe we need to look at how other smaller countries run their affairs to see if we can copy the best bits. The Scandanavian countries and places such as Switzerland seem to be successful

Some of his 30 points are off the wall and in the Senate I'm against anything that gives the "Social partners" more of a say in how the country is run (though it's better than what's there now) but I agree with most of it.

As an individual, you can help the economic situation by working hard, being productive, and contributing to GNP.

majee

You change the political system for voting for a party/parties that commits to radical systemic change through prioritising the bringing forward of a Bill to the Oireachteas enacting that radical change.
You make sure there is a viable party that will commit to such change by putting pressure on whichever party which has, to date, demonstrated a willingness to consider radical change. My money is on FG in this context, although the proposals they have outlined in their 'New Republic' policy document don't go nearly far enough. I intend e-mailing all Fine Gael TDs with ideas on how this document could be made more radical.
Labour have set out some ideas but, imo, they merely tinker round the edges of the current system. The rotten bargain at the heart of the client state remains intact.
Fintan O'Toole will be putting up on his website a list of 10 commitments he believes a new government should make to radically change the political system - they will provide an interesting starting point.
At the end of the day, it is up to citizens to make clear to political parties exactly what it is that they are demanding. That HAS to include a willingness to give up the fringe benefits that people receive (or think they recieve) from the clientilist system in exchange for a genuinely transparent and honest system, where legislators are able to take decisions that may be locally unpopular in order to institute a coherent and equitable national framework.
FG also have some good ideas on public service reform (which, as it happens, would not necessarily be beneficial to me personally as a civil servant but which I think could result in a genuinely transformed public service which would be fit for purpose)

You change the political system for voting for a party/parties that commits to radical systemic change through prioritising the bringing forward of a Bill to the Oireachteas enacting that radical change.
You make sure there is a viable party that will commit to such change by putting pressure on whichever party which has, to date, demonstrated a willingness to consider radical change. My money is on FG in this context, although the proposals they have outlined in their 'New Republic' policy document don't go nearly far enough. I intend e-mailing all Fine Gael TDs with ideas on how this document could be made more radical.
Labour have set out some ideas but, imo, they merely tinker round the edges of the current system. The rotten bargain at the heart of the client state remains intact.
Fintan O'Toole will be putting up on his website a list of 10 commitments he believes a new government should make to radically change the political system - they will provide an interesting starting point.
At the end of the day, it is up to citizens to make clear to political parties exactly what it is that they are demanding. That HAS to include a willingness to give up the fringe benefits that people receive (or think they recieve) from the clientilist system in exchange for a genuinely transparent and honest system, where legislators are able to take decisions that may be locally unpopular in order to institute a coherent and equitable national framework.
FG also have some good ideas on public service reform (which, as it happens, would not necessarily be beneficial to me personally as a civil servant but which I think could result in a genuinely transformed public service which would be fit for purpose)

Good post. I agree.

I really wish that I could even believe that will happen. But I'm a pessimist.

Back