What should I do if I get the virus?

DeeKie

If I get the virus tomorrow what can I do to reduce the likelihood of needing medical assistance? What helps relieve the cough? How do you reduce or address the symptoms? No one is talking about that very much.

Eat well, sleep well and get plenty of exercise. Other than that this from the HSE gives the following advice;

Treatment for coronavirus
There is no specific treatment for coronavirus. But many of the symptoms of the virus can be treated.

Supportive treatments, like oxygen therapy, can be given while your own body fights the virus. Life support can be used in extreme cases.

If you get the virus, your healthcare professional will advise treatment based on your symptoms.

Antibiotics do not work against coronavirus or any viruses. They only work against bacterial infections.

If the chemists are crazy \ sold out, have a look behind the counter in petrol station or local corner shop... they sometimes stock paracetamol behind the counter (though overpriced).

France’s health minister on Saturday said people should not use anti-inflammatory drugs if they have coronavirus-like symptoms because it could worsen their condition. “Taking anti-inflammatory drugs (ibuprofen, cortisone ...) could be an aggravating factor for the infection. If you have a fever, take paracetamol,” Oliver Veran said on Twitter.

Source:

"It feels as if your body in on fire"... RTE has an interview with a recovered coronavirus patient.
She did not require hospitalisation, advises to have lots of spare pyjamas due to the night sweats.

If a person feels unwell with covid 19 symptoms but doesn't need medical assistance , and they call their GP, what happens next.

Hi Geri

It's a good question and I would like to see some official documentation of the typical trajectory of a mild infection.

Note: I am not suggesting that this is what happens, but I would like to see something like this:

Day 1 - Contracts the virus
Day 5 - Starts a fever and dry coughing
Day 6 - GP verifies symptoms, assesses the risk and tells patient to self isolate and take paracetemol and contact them again if they have breathing difficulties .
Day 6 GP organises test
Day 7 - Tester arrives at patient's home
Day 9 - result comes back positive

Day 15 - symptoms start to recede
Day 20 - symptoms gone
Day 21 - A second test
Day 23 - Second test is negative

From the government website

Treatment

There is no specific treatment for COVID-19 (Coronavirus). However, many of the symptoms of the virus can be treated.

Drink plenty of water. Paracetamol or ibuprofen may help with symptoms such as pain or fever. Paracetamol is usually recommended as the first-line treatment for most people. Before taking any medication you should read the full package leaflet that comes with your medicine. You should also follow any advice a healthcare professional gives you.

If you get the virus, your healthcare professional will advise treatment based on your symptoms.

Antibiotics do not work against COVID-19 (Coronavirus) or any viruses. They only work against bacterial infections.

Supportive treatments, like oxygen therapy, can be given while your own body fights the virus. Life support can be used in extreme cases.

More information on treatment is available from the HSE.

The CDC says https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html

• People with COVID-19 who have stayed home (home isolated) can stop home isolation under the following conditions:
    • If you will not have a test to determine if you are still contagious, you can leave home after these three things have happened:
      • You have had no fever for at least 72 hours (that is three full days of no fever without the use medicine that reduces fevers)
        AND
      • other symptoms have improved (for example, when your cough or shortness of breath have improved)
        AND
      • at least 7 days have passed since your symptoms first appeared
    • If you will be testedto determine if you are still contagious, you can leave home after these three things have happened:
      • You no longer have a fever (without the use medicine that reduces fevers)
        AND
      • other symptoms have improved (for example, when your cough or shortness of breath have improved)
        AND
        you received two negative tests in a row, 24 hours apart. Your doctor will follow CDC guidelines.

As we have run out of tests we won’t know if we get it, with just mild symptoms, get over and have immunity or at least resistance to it and so could go back to work or to normal, to restart the economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back