What should he be Sole Trader or company

leelee

Hi all,
Need some advice if available.

My husband, who is a plumber by trade, gave up work in Feb 2007 to mind out 2 children. I have his tax credits etc. He does not collect social wefare or anything. I am the main income earner and work fulltime.

He has the opportunity of doing some work for some neighbours, friends etc. and by word of mouth. He is limited to the hours he can work, so only few evenings or saturdays.

He has his own van so presume expenses/disel etc could be offset etc? His earnings would obviously be unsteady ie. some weeks nothing earned and others several hundred euros. But say for example he could earn approx. 1,000 euro.

I want everything to be done proper and need advice as what he should do - set up as sole trader or set up a company, set up for VAT or something else....... I know the PAYE system inside out from work but when it comes to being self employed and I am totally lost. Thank you.

Hi Leelee

I would probably recommend that you do not form a company - your husband can trade as a sole trader. He can register a business name if he so wishes but this is not necessary (then he could be Mr. Leelee trading as "Lee Lee Plumbing" or something like that). Depending on your circumstances a company may suit but from the details provided it would not appear to be the best course of action.

Companies are slightly more troublesome and you have stricter responsibilites (Companies Office etc.).

If he does not form the company he can still register for VAT (this is required if income is over a certain level). Maybe you should speak to an accountant to iron out the fine details.

Back