What rent should I charge? (Cork)

brian.mobile

I'm looking at buying a house in Douglas, Cork. What rent should one charge on a compact three bedroom house it's on the Douglas Road.

Downstairs: large Living Room / large Kitchen - all mod cons
Upstairs: Main Bedroom / second bedroom / seperate toilet & shower (no bath)

Attic Room: stairs to large attic room / velux window
Back garden: decking / french doors from kitchen.
Misc :GFCH. Paved front lawn / on street residential parking.

Have tried Daft.ie and have a fair idea. Just wondering you all think.

Many thanks,

BM

I have a 2 bed apt that i rent off in Frankfield and we get €900 a month. However we have discovered that the 3 beds above our apt are going for the same rent. There are a lot of factors you'll have to consider. What is your market and who are you planning on renting too? Is it going to be furnished or unfurnished? Are you going to rent the house as a whole or room by room? Try and rent the house as a whole, this makes your life a lot easier. If you want to see what other landlords are getting in your area, pick up an echo or check the notice boards down in Douglas SC, ring a few of the numbers and ask how much the rent is? Or even go and see the property if you want to get ideas.

I believe you'll get higher rent and less hassle if you rent the entire house as one unit - that way you'll only have 1 tenant to deal with if rent is late, repairs need to be done etc, etc. Is the master bedroom en-suite or are all 3 rooms sharing one bathroom? Is the 3rd bedroom a "box room" and do you thinkg you'll get someone for this room? If the 3rd is a box room then def. rent as one unit.

I would estimate ~€900 too.

brian.mobile said:
What rent should one charge on a compact three bedroom house it's on the Douglas Road.

Downstairs: large Living Room / large Kitchen - all mod cons
Upstairs: Main Bedroom / second bedroom / seperate toilet & shower (no bath)

Attic Room: stairs to large attic room / velux window
Back garden: decking / french doors from kitchen.
Misc :GFCH. Paved front lawn / on street residential parking.

I'm confused, where's the 3rd bedroom? The attic room? Hope it's properly sound insulated for the sake of the 2 below.

In my experience haphazard/improvised bedrooms tend to result in high tenant turnover as they contribute to an unpleasant living environment. And if there's only one bathroom (with no bath) then you won't achieve the top rental values of the area.

Hope the attic isn't the 3rd bedroom as suggested above - if so, check planning to ensure that planning was sought & granted. Fire risk is a big problem with attic rooms and usually you are only allowed use these for storage and certainly not bedrooms.

I rented a place where this kind of conversion was done whilst I lived there. Whilst threoretically the rental value of the place went up by 25%, in reality there was a much higher turnover of tenants and subsequently void periods. I would imagine the rental take from the property did go up but in no way proportional to the amount of extra work which was required to manage the property.

Lorz said:
Hope the attic isn't the 3rd bedroom as suggested above - if so, check planning to ensure that planning was sought & granted. Fire risk is a big problem with attic rooms and usually you are only allowed use these for storage and certainly not bedrooms.

It's an original attic room as far as I can see with a proper stairs going up to it from a normal style landing.

The second room is a box room. There is no 'bath' and no ensuite.

Certainly it could only be rented as 'one unit'.

Hope this anwers your Q's..

BM

Back