What order for Tax, NCT, Insurance.

60watt

Hi,

My father had a 08 car with very low mileage and is very well maintained and serviced.
He stopped driving this car earlier this year for health reasons, now NCT, TAX and Insurance have all expired.
He totally forgot about Declaring the car off road.
Now I've purchased this car from my father privately.
I want to get it back on the road, I'm very confused about the order in which I need to do things ?

So far we have signed the back of the Ownership log book and I have posted it to Shannon.
What do I do next ?
I went on to moto tax online, but it looks for a PIN number and Insurance details.
I wont be able to insure the car without passing NCT ?
How can I get it to NCT center if I don't have tax and insurance on it ?
I'm very confused, has anybody experience with same scenario

Thanks..

I wont be able to insure the car without passing NCT ?
Not all insurers ask for an up to date NCT.
I would try doing insurance, tax and NCT in that order.

Edit: just checking and it looks like most or all insurers will not honour policies if there's no NCT. I may have been thinking of the COVID lockdown era exemption where insurers were more flexible when NCT testing wasn't available or was severely restricted. (Not that much has changed though!).

Last edited:
The big risk is that the car fails the NCT and the repairs are too costly.

Are you sure you can't insure without NCT?

Maybe research paying by direct debit with Aviva and check the small print on the cancellation policy - if it doesn't get through the NCT then you'll have only paid for X months.

Then when you have insurance, you can take out tax for a few months.

Note it is difficult to get NCT appointments, suggest phoning your centre.

Talk to an insurance broker.

They can usually get an insurance company to issue temporary cover for situations like this.

Brendan

A lot of mechanics will take a car to the NCT for you as well as fix any minor issues with the car.
And they have garage insurance that covers them for driving all cars. (to the best of my knowledge. )

Can't answer some of the questions but re the car tax yes you need a pin but you definitely don't need the details of your insurance, that's not saying you shouldn't have them! I have insurance always but that field on the motor tax renewal is tied up to nothing, I just always put in 123456 under the details of policy number cos I can't be bothered going looking for it when I'm doing it, you could write anything in and click any company/date and it cross references with nothing!

A lot of mechanics will take a car to the NCT for you as well as fix any minor issues with the car.
And they have garage insurance that covers them for driving all cars. (to the best of my knowledge. )
True, but a car will normally fail the NCT if it hasn't been on the road much in the period leading up to the test. So realistically it's not really feasible to get an NCT done without the car being insured.

Can't answer some of the questions but re the car tax yes you need a pin but you definitely don't need the details of your insurance, that's not saying you shouldn't have them! I have insurance always but that field on the motor tax renewal is tied up to nothing, I just always put in 123456 under the details of policy number cos I can't be bothered going looking for it when I'm doing it, you could write anything in and click any company/date and it cross references with nothing!
Recipe for trouble if something goes awry, I'd imagine.

Yes if you have no valid insurance but otherwise neither here nor there.
Hopefully.

WARNING - FALSE DECLARATIONS Any person making a false declaration, or who subsequently fails to notify any changes in the licensing particulars now furnished, including disposal of the vehicle is liable to heavy penalties. A licensing authority may require appropriate evidence as to the accuracy of particulars declared.

I went on to moto tax online, but it looks for a PIN number and Insurance details.
The PIN is the last 4 or 5 digits of the VIN. I think it tells you that on the site.

As above, get your mechanic to check it over and take it to the NCT centre for you AFTER you get the "log book" from Shannon.

EDIT:

The sequence is
  1. Register in your name
  2. Get Mechanic to do NCT
  3. Insure it
  4. Tax it
Happy motoring

Last edited:
Edit: just checking and it looks like most or all insurers will not honour policies if there's no NCT.
Are you sure about that? I know they won't honour breakdown cover without a valid NCT but I can't imaging one becomes uninsured if the NCT goes out of date.

Are you sure about that? I know they won't honour breakdown cover without a valid NCT but I can't imaging one becomes uninsured if the NCT goes out of date.
No, in not sure..I'm inferring from the fact that the motor insurance industry as a whole issued a statement during the height of the COVID lockdowns saying that they'd be lenient if all insured person had no NCT, that it's normally a requirement for insurance to have a valid NCT. But it's always been unclear to me and I've seen conflicting anecdotal opinions on it.

No, in not sure..I'm inferring from the fact that the motor insurance industry as a whole issued a statement during the height of the COVID lockdowns saying that they'd be lenient if all insured person had no NCT, that it's normally a requirement for insurance to have a valid NCT. But it's always been unclear to me and I've seen conflicting anecdotal opinions on it.
If your car fails the NCT, and unless the NCT test inspector certifies it as unroadworthy, there's no problem whatsover in driving it home. Which wouldn't be the case if that failure triggered an insurance issue.

If your car fails the NCT, and unless the NCT test inspector certifies it as unroadworthy, there's no problem whatsover in driving it home. Which wouldn't be the case if that failure triggered an insurance issue.
Problem is that in most cases when arranging an insurance policy there will be an assumption stated that the car is roadworthy. NCT is taken as that measure of roadworthiness. It would be different when renewing as opposed to arranging a new policy as you already have an insurer.

In any event most quote systems will catch the fact there is no NCT and flag it and not quote

Problem is that in most cases when arranging an insurance policy there will be an assumption stated that the car is roadworthy. NCT is taken as that measure of roadworthiness. It would be different when renewing as opposed to arranging a new policy as you already have an insurer.

If you go by that logic though, no currently off-the-road car with an expired NCT could ever be insured again. That wouldn't make any sense.

And the NCT is not a measure of roadworthiness. A car could easily be unroadworthy even if has a current NCT cert.

My Aviva policy booklet states:
Duty to take care
6 You must take all reasonable steps
to prevent accident, injury, loss or
damage. While unattended, the
car must not be left unlocked, or
the keys to the ignition left with or
in the car or windows or sunroof
left open. You must ensure the car
is kept in a roadworthy condition,
which includes ensuring that the
tread depth on your car tyres are
within the legal limits and if required
that your car has a current and valid
National Car Test (NCT) certificate.
You must ensure the car is properly
compliant with all Road Traffic
legislation at all times.
I don't know if that implies that cover is invalid if the NCT cert is not up to date. If it is then I have definitely driven uninsured in the past!

My Aviva policy booklet states:

I don't know if that implies that cover is invalid if the NCT cert is not up to date. If it is then I have definitely driven uninsured in the past!
RSA policy also states 'Your Car must be covered by a valid Department of Transport NCT Test Certificate'

On a related note...

If you a car privately, hwo do you go about registering the change of ownership? I know somethings sent to shannon but where do you get the form to send?

Also does this need to be done before you get taxed and insured?

Back