What is valid for deducting from Tenant's Deposit

Re: What is valid for deducting from Tenants Deposit

Another quick point that you might have overlooked. You should also charge for the electricity etc. used during the time to get the place up to scratch due to the tenants fault. And of course the rent you are loosing because it is not ready.
But do be fair. Try to look at it from a tenants point of view also and do not use a tenants deposit to freshen a place up where required because of everyday wear and tear.

Keep the entire deposit the do not have any comeback and as another poster suggested they prob know this hence the missing delph, could be worse i know a landlord that had his tenants take the beds.

You cannot deduct rent due to time spent cleaning and electricity is going overboard. OP what you have suggested is fair. To the new versus old argument, how do you buy a one year old kettle or 18 month old delph? Mrman it's amazing what tenants will take, I laughed about the beds, and tenants wonder why rented property doesn't have expensive furniture or new beds, but conversly you can have great tenants, my last great tenants left after 5 years and there wasn't a single solitary item of delph/cutlery/kettle/brush/bin in the kitchen but I didn't charge them anything as they had been great tenants.

Bronte
my last great tenants left after 5 years and there wasn't a single solitary item of delph/cutlery/kettle/brush/bin in the kitchen but I didn't charge them anything as they had been great tenants.

I do not see how you can consider people "great tenants" when they took all your stuff?

That to me is stealing...... :confused:

Bronte

I do not see how you can consider people "great tenants" when they took all your stuff?

That to me is stealing...... :confused:
They paid their rent on time, stayed long term, asked for nothing, did no damage and to replace those items would be of no great cost and in any case they would have been older than 5 years and needed replacing. It was a couple who split up and I believe they had used some of their own stuff and got confused about who owned what and it was not done deliberately. It's not like they took a cooker/bed/microwave etc. I'm not the type to be counting how many cups are broken.

Is it normal for a landlord to supply delph?
How long were the tenants there?
And are the beds destroyed or just the matresses?

IMHO, if I was renting somewhere for 12 months (which is the general minimum) i'd expect new matresses at the very least.

I haven't rented in a long time so I could be completely out of touch!

IMHO, if I was renting somewhere for 12 months (which is the general minimum) i'd expect new matresses at the very least.

Yes you should supply delph. New mattresses every 12 months isn't sustainable.

i need to jump on this thread i need a bit of advice, we are living in rented accomodation for the past 3 years, my landlady lives in antother part of the contry, we live in very small rural community, with less than zero options of other houses to rent in the area.

Anyways the landlady is not registered, i knew that from the start and accepted it out of desperation and needing a place to live, anyways in the past 3 years she has dont no maintenance apart from asking her cousin who lives locally to cut the grass two summers ago. now the grass is at window level and no mention of anyone cutting it. But thats only the tip of the ice berg can live with that.

she came around when we first moved in and said the fence needed to be repaired she would get someone to do that ( in fact there is no fence just a few posts rest has rotted away) and that she would fix the shed door, but since then we now know the house is full of damp. the pipes outside the kitchen window where the kitchen water goes out was blocked up and been like that for years it runs out on street. Then we discovered the washing maching (which is in the shed) the waste water from that was been pumped into the same drain under the kitchen window, the smell in the summer was like poison. So we cut the pipe and let it run off out the back garden, the man hole covers had rusted away and were never replaced at the back of the house. Every bloody room in the house is damp and there are gusts of wind coming in every window. There is only one door on the house that opens, she lost the key to the other years ago and never bothered changing it.

To top it all off the lock on the door was dodgy, got my key stuck in it during the week and i snapped the key in two trying to get it out. so now i cannot lock the door, which is not good when we are out working all day. They type of door is the old think its alimiun doors they came before the pvc and had a friend look at it and he says cannot get this type of lock anymore, my main question is would anyone know if i can get this type of lock anymore "zone" is written on the lock thats the extent of my knowledge,

I know this post is long and not to the point and full of punctuation and spelling errors, but for the past few days i have been climbing in and out throught the feckin window so pleas cut me some slack.​

Yes you should supply delph.
I see. Fair enough then.

New mattresses every 12 months isn't sustainable.
I was under the impression tenants stay for around an average of 3 years (nothing to back this up, just out of my head). Thats why I was wondering how long the previous tenants were there and if it was just the matresses rather than the beds which were 'ruined'. I agree that changing them every 12 months is too much to ask, but i'd imagine most landlords don't have that that constant turnaround of tenants every year. I could be wrong!

Delph is normal to supply but becoming less so, just so you know the most expensive part of the bed is the mattress, bases cost very little. In general therefore replacing the mattress is just the same as replacing the whole thing. My tenants have asked for new mattresses, they got new matress covers instead. In Ireland having a tenant for longer than 1 year would be (in my opinion) long term. There is a cost to getting rid of the mattress as well. One of my latest tenants who signed a one year lease, asked for the new mattresses, lost their job (good job) after 3 months due to a downturn and headed back to the East, good thing I didn't put in a new mattress and so much for having a lease/deposit in those situations.

i need to jump on this thread i need a bit of advice, we are living in rented accomodation for the past 3 years, my landlady lives in antother part of the contry, we live in very small rural community, with less than zero options of other houses to rent in the area. ....​

You need to start your own thread & Move house.​

i need to jump on this thread i need a bit of advice, we are living in rented accomodation for the past 3 years, my landlady lives in antother part of the contry, we live in very small rural community, with less than zero options of other houses to rent in the area.

If you have transport the only option you have in my opinion is look for accommodation in the nearest town/village. Your landlady wont start co-operating now and a lock in your door wont fix the multitude of problems that you are facing.

Bad landlords are not to be tolerated in this day and age.

You have rights and you should stand up for yourself

suimhneach if I was you I'd go to the PRTB and complain, the fact that you knew she was not registered with them is immaterial.

The PRTB is for tenants rights and they should have a field day with her, if she's not paying tax then she'll have someone else to deal with too.

I can see peoples views on bad tenants, but try this on for size.

When myself and my sister moved into the house we previously rented, it took a good two weeks for us to properly clean the house from the state it was in. During our six years there, we asked the landlord to buy paint and we painted the house inside for him (saving him hundreds in labour no doubt). The room which I was in was constantly cold, so got my dad to put insulation into it, which stopped all the drafts etc. coming into the room. When we left the house, the overall appearance of the house had improved, it was 50 times cleaner and in a far better condition then when we moved in. We had also looked after the gardens, as the landlord never once offered to do anything to them, even after we asked him to.

On the last day, as we were packing up and in his presence, one of the pieces of furniture which we were taking with us (our own, not his) fell against a door, causing a hole, approximately 6"x6" in one of the doors (whcih was made from pretty cheap wood anyway) and he dually deducted €200.00 from our deposit.

Fair? I think not. Inside the terms of our contract, damage to fittings, yes. Perhaps it should be written into contracts that if a tenant leaves a property in a far better condition than when they moved in, that any minor damages (6"x6" is minor in my opinion) can be written off against the expense they saved when tenants cleaned the house from top to bottom for the LL?

Theres a flaw in your logic. What expense? House wasn't clean when you rented it so its obvous (along with the rest of your tale) that the landlord spends nothing on the house. So theres nothing to write off the €200 against. It makes no sense to me to rent a house that you need to then refurbish at your own expense.

Rather than adding a load of highly subjective clauses in a contract, that are impossible to enforce, is it not a lot simpler to just not rent the house which would force the landlord to maintain the house to a reasonable standard.

Back