What is the smell in my kitchen?

sum81

I am living in my house 2 years this summer..it was also a new build when i moved in! I am getting an awful smell in my kitchen and dont know where it is coming from...i have washed some of the walls, wash floors at least twice a week...scrubbed down pressies, over, fridge etc but its still there. I especially notice it when i come back into the house after being out all day.Its sort of a smokey musty smell! Can anyone advice me what to do as its driving me mad...I used to smoke out the window in the kitchen but stopped that months ago...

Had a similar problem with a smell which we couldn't track down. Turned out to be where the waste pipe from the sink plumbing goes into the 4" waste sewer pipe. The rubber membrane that the sink pipe passes through into the 4" was not sealing and smell was eminating from sewer. Easy job to fix with a decent plastic cap for the 4" pipe rather than the cheaper rubber jobs. Smell gone. Might be this!??

Any blockages in the sing plugs? I noticed a mad smell I could not find for ages in my kitchen, turned out to be in the overflow pipe of the sink, Putting drain deblockers in plug did not work, I had to funnel it into the overflow inlet, Worked.

Other than than I don't know, sorry.

Check your lightbulb (seriously).
We had this in my parents house (with a light fitting) and also in our own ensuite (the pull-cord for the shower was actually melting due to the current...cheapo plastic!), when the plastic fittings melt slightly and give off that smell.

check the back of the fridge if you can because if something spills down the back the condenser which is warm can cause smells as the spillage dries out

A quick solution is buying Neutradol odour remover in a supermarket. I found it that my bin gets smelly quite quickly during the summer (even though it's emptied regularly) so one of those really helps.

Thanks for your responses. i have since discovered the ventilation hole is plastered over. it has become alot worse in the past few days and the best way to describe the smell is like concrete or freshly plastered walls. have been trying to get the builders to get them to fix the ventilation and hopefully this will sort out the problem

Sounds like you have a **** problem to me, maybe from mice. Check your sugar bowl for little black droppings and lay down some mousetraps.

check behind the sink.. there should be a U-bend to allow a water seal on the waste line... if there is no u-bend then you could be getting drain smell directly in.

My friend had a problem in there house whereby mice had eaten thru expanding foam which was around pipes as they went thru floor..again check behind the sink

By any chance have you combined washer / dryer....some of them units need to be occassionally drained and maybe overflow

Try the traps in your washer, dryer and dish washer. Maybe the filter in the hob extractor needs replacing.

Check the waste outlet from the washing machine and dishwasher. This should be piped through a trap. Most of the time its not.

Last edited:
Back