What is the minimum size for a bedroom?

PurplePudding

We are Sale Agreed on what was advertised as a 3-bedroom house.

The survey has revealed that the 3rd "bedroom" is actually too small to be considered a bedroom - the measurements are 2.7m x 1.83m - apparently this "cannot be classed as a Bedroom for Planning Regulations purposes".

I cannot find any regulations regarding minimum bedroom sizes in Ireland - can anyone advise what legislation covers this and what the minimum size actually is?

I have asked the surveyor but they haven't responded to me as yet.

When was the house built? That will have a bearing as newer standards generally can't be applied retrospectively.

Have you checked the planning permission granted for that house?

Apologies, I should have mentioned - the bedroom size has been decreased due to an attic conversion (to make room for the stairs). The house was built in approx. 1980, I'm not sure when the conversion work was done (we're still awaiting documents regarding planning permission/exemption for that).

Hi was just wondering if you got any information of where to clarify the minimum size of the room, if it's been changed to accommodate an attic? Questioning something similar myself. Thanks!

I don't think the question was to do with the attic conversion; it was an existing bedroom that had been reduced in size.

So you need it to be classed as a two bed to clear the planning cert which will be a condition of the mortgage. You then use the house as if the third bedroom is a bedroom, which it is, but not for planning purposes.

As regards insurance on the place, how would the owner be fixed if anything happened the place?

When I got my attic converted, I phoned my insurer Allianz and asked what to do, as officially my attic conversion is not a room, it is just fully floored, wired, plumbed, heated and insulated storage area with velux windows that has a sofa, pool table, dart board, sound system, TV, WiFi etc.

Allianz they said they considered it a room and amended my policy to a 5 bed rather than 4.

Allianz also said having an attic conversion in no way affects my home insurance policy, all benefits and cover remain the same.

I asked them to email that to me which they did and keep this email in my home insurance folder.

That has been my experience, if in doubt phone your insurer.

Although the biggest room in the house floor area wise anyway, my attic conversion was never going to qualify as a room, so the builder suggested a slightly narrower staircase which meant less had to come off the bedroom that was being reduced in size to accommodate the attic stairs.
This single bedroom is now 3.1M X 2.2M or 6.8 M2

Around 2005 I recall that the vendors of supposed 3 bed semi-detached show houses started kitting the room over the stairway out with a tiny study desk type arrangement instead of the usual kids bed.

Imagine peoples surprise when they tried to move in and couldn't actually fit a bed in the 3rd bedroom as it was too tiny.

There were also cases of beds having a few inches sawed off and the headboard nailed back on after to make the room look bigger that it was.

Allianz they said they considered it a room and amended my policy to a 5 bed rather than 4.

Exactly, it's a room in reality, hence for insurance purposes. But it's not a room for planning purposes. And you can sell it as a four bed plus attic conversion 'space'.

Back