what is the minimum salary a director (ltd co) can pay himself for prsi purposes?

Nicky

I am wondering what the minimum wage can pay director ltd. himself as he is an employee as well ?
Thank you

Re: Minimum Director's wage

Well as an S class director I was on zero euros for over a year. (Don't ever work for nothing BTW)

For example, I would like to do PRSI contribution for my state pension, should I pay myself as a director next
monthly payments: €8.65*8hours per day*5days a week*4weeks a month=€1384, then PRSI contribution
1384*8.5%=€117.64, PYAE =0, total costs= 1384+117.64=€1501.64 monthly and €18019.68 yearly ?
Is that correct ?
In other words can I have no salary or as little as can and make PRSI contribution at the same time ?
Thanks
Nicky

Re: what is the minimum wage a director (ltd co) can pay himself hes an employee as w

If you were to pay yourself €8.65gross ph for 40 hours per week this would give you 346 gross per week, as you are a director you pay prsi at the s rate which is 5% i.e 17.30, and also as a director you are not given the paye credit so you are only entitled to personal credit of €1830(2008), therefore weekly this would give you tax payable of 34.01(346*20%=69.20-35.19weekly tax credit) this would give you a net take home wage of €294.69 per week. yearly figures Gross salary: 17992, Prsi 899.60 and tax of 1768.52 giving a net yearly wage of 15323.88.

Re: what is the minimum wage a director (ltd co) can pay himself hes an employee as w

Thank you Cormi, that is what I needed
Kind Regards
Nicky

yes, but how can I do PRSI contribution without paying salary ?

If you do not wish to take any salary from your company, as previous poster said there is no rule that you have to pay minimum wage os any salary to yourself as a working director, you may qualify to make voluntary contributions, you can find more information on www.welfare.ie its leaflet sw8, the minimum for class s is €253 i think, you also would be able to get more information from your local social welfare office. Although if you have other income e.g rental income you will be paying prsi on this anyway on your personal income tax return.

If you do not wish to take any salary from your company, as previous poster said there is no rule that you have to pay minimum wage os any salary to yourself as a working director, you may qualify to make voluntary contributions, you can find more information on www.welfare.ie its leaflet sw8, the minimum for class s is €253 i think, you also would be able to get more information from your local social welfare office. Although if you have other income e.g rental income you will be paying prsi on this anyway on your personal income tax return.
Also the director could be already paying at A class for another employment.

There is nothing wrong with taking a salary of zero from the company which would leave you PRSI exempt in respect to the company.

I read the leaflet sw8, yes there is € 253 for the class S, however it is not saying that is payment weekly, monthly or ones a year.
Thanks
nicky

Ah, but if you are paying PRSI in relation to another employment this would not matter.

If you pay yourself under Gross €26K per annum (€500 per week) then you will only pay PRSI at 3% and not 5%.

Assuming that you have no other income, if you pay yourself €175 per week then you will not pay any PAYE because your single tax credit will cover any PAYE charged on the salary.

company directors pay 5%, no more no less and what's more they get nothing for it, forget about trying to cover you're pensio

For example, I would like to do PRSI contribution for my state pension

Nicky,

As a director; I'm paying the S class rate for PRSI and I'm not covered for a state pension or the majority of other PRSI benefits. I.e. medical etc...

I've organised an exectutive pension plan through Hibernian which my company pays in to tax free.

Regards,

Mahons

Thank you Mahons,
could you clarify how much the Gross, PRSI and PAYE weekly, monthly there are, please ?
Regads

Back