What is the best way to use my Revolut card?

I do my normal AIB online banking from my desktop which I prefer to my mobile.

Am I right in saying that I can't do any of the Revolut stuff from my desktop and must use my phone?

Brendan

Except now you need to login to your phone at the same time for verification which is slightly painful.

Not at all. I take out my phone and log into AIB's App.
Then when I log on the desktop, I just press a button.

So it's just like being asked to enter your pin twice.

That is not too big a burden for the extra security.

Brendan

Slightly less of a standard use, but the disposable card is handy for setting up multiple accounts on the likes of paddypower and other sites that check for duplicate accounts under one credit card.
You use it once, then it goes up in a puff of smoke and generates a new disposable card.

I have edited this key post to compare Revolut and N26

Are there any other significant differences?

Brendan

I have edited this key post to compare Revolut and N26
Are there any other significant differences?
Revolut customers can purchase cryptocurrency through the platform whereas N26 have suggested they will add support for crypto but have not done so as yet.

I went to deposit some money and got the message that I was over my 24 hour deposit limit.

Are there any deposit limits?
For newly added cards (including replacement cards received from your bank), you will have a temporary limit that allows you to add a certain amount of money per 24 hours. Some users may find they have a lower daily limit to begin with, however, your daily deposit limits will increase over time and we can't change these manually for you. Try and add your desired amount. If you wish to add more than your daily limit, you can add money by other methods available in your country.
Other than that, there aren't any specific limits. On some occasions, we may ask you to verify your source of funds, which is something we need to do to meet our regulations.
If you are expecting a large transfer to your Revolut account, please reach out to us.

I then reduced the amount I wanted to deposit and got the message "Something went wrong. We lost the connection" and the 24 hour message again.

So I reduced it again and got the same error.

But now I see that the second two transfers did actually go through.

Brendan

I like the fact that Revolut sends me a message every time I make a purchase. My Revolut card was scammed a few years ago when I was in the States and quite a few purchases were made on it in a short space of time. It was all sorted out and Revolut returned the money but the new feature sending me a message detailing spending is great.

I like the fact that Revolut sends me a message every time I make a purchase. My Revolut card was scammed a few years ago when I was in the States and quite a few purchases were made on it in a short space of time. It was all sorted out and Revolut returned the money but the new feature sending me a message detailing spending is great.

That's unfortunate, do you mind telling us how it was scammed @Eithneangela please?

I have no idea, and neither did Revolut at the time. I only noticed when I checked my balance after returning from the States. I was in Florida, the card seemed to be used in a completely different State. I was able to clearly identify the items I had not purchased and Revolut just reversed them after a few weeks when they checked them out.

Good that they refunded you.
Another reason for the location security feature to be turned on.
I assume you have this enabled now.

Yes. Have turned off online payments, that seems to have been the scam route. No problems for past 3 years, use it in the UK, US, Australia, New Zealand on regular basis.

Thanks to this thread, I have been able to print statements and freeze my card. How do I add location security? What is the benefit of a virtual card if I already have a physical card? Thanks for the advice on here. Slim

Thanks to this thread, I have been able to print statements and freeze my card. How do I add location security? What is the benefit of a virtual card if I already have a physical card? Thanks for the advice on here. Slim
On the app go to 'cards' select the physical card, select PIN & Security and turn on Location Based Security.

One of the benefits of a virtual card is that if it should be compromised then just 'throw' it away and get another one. Not quite as easy with a physical
card ie. cost plus wait period for replacement. With the upgraded Revolut account you can effectively have disposable virtual cards so use once then dispose of them.
Very secure.

Slightly off topic here.. but a bit of an unusual one with Revolut.

My nieces decided to open Revolut accounts (partly sibling rivalry to get the free €10). However, one of them couldn’t complete opening the account as she is only 17. I didn’t realise it wasn’t fully functional and transferred €20 to her - she appeared in my list of contacts.( 8 days ago)

It seems she can’t access the money now although it is showing in her account. She can’t transfer it back and I can’t request it back from my side either. (Webchat)

It seems odd that Revolut is allowing me to transfer to a partly disabled account. No major problem given that it’s a small amount, but it is making me a bit more nervous now of sending funds again. Thoughts?

It will probably sit there until she is 18 and then she can get it

On the app go to 'cards' select the physical card, select PIN & Security and turn on Location Based Security.

One of the benefits of a virtual card is that if it should be compromised then just 'throw' it away and get another one. Not quite as easy with a physical
card ie. cost plus wait period for replacement. With the upgraded Revolut account you can effectively have disposable virtual cards so use once then dispose of them.
Very secure.
Many thanks, I am now frozen and location protected!

Back