What is the best way to use my Revolut card?

@Armada

I opened an account recently. I was a bit surprised that I could transfer funds in before I had completed the customer verification process.

Am not sure what the logic is. Particularly as customer verification took about three minutes.

Hi,

If you opt to turn on the location security - does it cause an issue if using your Revolut Account with Google Pay (in other words, does Google Pay also know where you are and confirm it to Revolut, to allow the payment be processed) ?

I just spent two weeks with Revolut as my main card in USA. It worked almost everywhere, bar 3 places I think. I'd suggest having some cash/other card as backup just in case.
It's also unclear about how tips work with the card. You pay the base bill via the card, card is then returned and you then write a new amount on a new receipt (including tip) which they take away after you leave. I assume they should cancel the first payment and charge the new one including tip. I haven't been charged any of these tips on my Revolut card yet though. Other places allowed adding of a tip before charging anything which was much more straightforward IMO.
Overall the card was a positive experience.

I just spent two weeks with Revolut as my main card in USA. It worked almost everywhere, bar 3 places I think. I'd suggest having some cash/other card as backup just in case.
It's also unclear about how tips work with the card. You pay the base bill via the card, card is then returned and you then write a new amount on a new receipt (including tip) which they take away after you leave. I assume they should cancel the first payment and charge the new one including tip. I haven't been charged any of these tips on my Revolut card yet though. Other places allowed adding of a tip before charging anything which was much more straightforward IMO.
Overall the card was a positive experience.

That is standard in the US for all card payments. The initial scan is a bit like a "hold". When you add a tip, they are able to go back in and adjust the final amount. You should only see one amount go across your card for the final amount.

Just back from three weeks in New Zealand. I used Revolut exclusively, no cash. No problems at all would recommend highly.

That is standard in the US for all card payments. The initial scan is a bit like a "hold". When you add a tip, they are able to go back in and adjust the final amount. You should only see one amount go across your card for the final amount.
Makes sense but i thought it'd be charged by now, especially from a payment from 2 weeks ago. I read here that Revolut doesn't seem to allow the adjusting to happen: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnethicalL..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body. Perhaps this is an extra Revolut security feature?

It seems some of them have rounded up to include tip. I can tell as they end in .00 which is what I always round the tip up to. Others show as completed with amount like $34.66 meaning it's not including tip [edit] after checking the completed ones with decimal amounts its exactly 20 percent tip added. Perhaps I wrote that, who can remember ten days later, which is the confusing thing, unless you write it again on your own receipt copy and keep every one of those. Anyway they all seem to have added it. [End edit]
The entire system of tipping with a note on a piece of paper then changing the card payment after you've left the building seems very backward and confusing to me.

Last edited:
It seems some of them have rounded up to include tip. I can tell as they end in .00 which is what I always round the tip up to. Others show as completed with amount like $34.66 meaning it's not including tip [edit] after checking the completed ones with decimal amounts its exactly 20 percent tip added. Perhaps I wrote that, who can remember ten days later, which is the confusing thing, unless you write it again on your own receipt copy and keep every one of those. Anyway they all seem to have added it. [End edit]
The entire system of tipping with a note on a piece of paper then changing the card payment after you've left the building seems very backward and confusing to me.

Yeah - chip and PIN is only recently introduced in the US. And you rarely see the small card readers brought to tables.

One bum note on Revolut, I attempted to pay my house insurance over the phone using it and it was not to be. Revolut refused to pay them saying they were an unsupported merchant, I transferred the money thereafter but I had no issue paying with my BOI debit card last year over the phone so I was disappointed not to be able to do the same this year.

Back