What is Rush Co. Dublin like to live in?

Sunflower123

HI
Am looking at possibly buying in Rush and was wondering what its like to live there. Are there many facilities, and how long would it take to commute to Dublin.

Also whats the parking like at the station.

Thanks

Hi

Im living there the last four years and absolutely love it. They are many pubs, a garage and two convenience shops. There is also a lovely Restaurant called Soapranos over the Michael Collins put. The food is gorgeous. Its also very close to Skerries, which has lots of places to eat, shop, have a drink etc. The beach and harbour area are beautiful. Really lovely to go out walking around.

The only downside is the parking at the station. Which is very bad. When i moved first, i commuted to the city centre. I had to be in the station at 7am to get a space. As far as im aware it has not got any better. The bus was not really good at that time either and its very far to walk. I changed jobs and work only 20 mins away which is great. HTH.R

Maybe cycle to the station is a possibility as walking is out! We tried it and it nearly killed us. Small place if you're used to that kind of thing.A visit will give you all your answers.

Moved to Rush last year and have to say I love it. The village is great and there is everything you need near by from shops, chemist to hardwares etc..

Food wise - theres no real restaurants as such - but you can easily get a carvery in any of the pubs, There's also an Italian (yet to visit but has been recomended) and there's an Indian Restaurant. If their take away is anything to go by I'd say their restaurant is brilliant. Always packed on a Sat too.. Harbour Bar also do very reasonable food.

To be honest the local pubs (there are a few of them) wouldnt interest me for a night out but thats a personal choice of local pub. However Skerries is literally only 5 mins up the road with all those amenities, and I have to say Im more than happy to drive 5-10 mins to have food/drink at the harbour in Skerries. Actually same can be said for a night out. Blue bar in skerries is very good for both options.

I've lived in the City center, Santry and Artane for several years and this is far the nicest area. Beach (choice of 2) is only 5 mins from the house. The biggest change I noticed is everyone is really nice. It's a very samll thing - but people actually say hello to you. Shop assistants are always really nice. Maybe its a rural thing? I don't know. nice/Good service will always have a lasting impression and we've already got to know local people through their shops etc..and conversations.

The big DOWN SIDE is the train station! parking is a nightmare. Too far to walk and too dangerous to cycle (IMO) But the road is getting an upgrade and apparently a cycle lane - i dont know where? need to be there before 7.30 to assure yourself a spot. I've changed my work hours to 8-4.30. Drive to the station in less than 10 mins. catch the 7.15 train. In work at my desk before 8am. usually home just afer 5 allowing me to enjoy the evening and the beaches.

Swords is also only about 15-20 mins drive away if you need to do a supermarket shop etc..or have a larger choice of pubs shops bars etc..
PLus - I used to visit friends in Rush and used to think it was miles out - not anymore. Only 45 mins into town. usually get the port tunnel home on a sat and it cuts about 15 mins of that time. well woth it. For a night out in town you also have the nite link which services rush. usually takes abouit 30mins from town.

If you are looking long term and family wise (which we just started) there are also really good facilities. Local healthe center is brand new and great. Again local health nurse was a god send during the first few weeks of our baby arriving. People in the Chemist (Hickeys) are laso very helpfull.
New irish school is due to start in September and we just enrolled our little one in a local 'brand new' creshe 10 mins from the house. I think it will be a lovely place to bring up Children.

I cant think of any majoy negatives - unless you count getting stuck behind a tractor at 7.10 when you're trying to catch the 7.15 train ;)

Sorry big long response but hope it helps.

A friend moved to Rush and finds the train a nightmare.

Would you consider somewhere like Donabate. Much better parking at the station and also closer to town. It's a gorgeous area and is close to malahide and Swords.

Similar situation from a different angle, I'm in Lusk and find the train service excellent.

The station is much closer to Lusk than to Rush, so it makes all the difference for the 3-4min dash down in the morning (against the traffic too). Its 15-25min walk.

The taxsaver ticket works out at about €2 per day. The journey to Connolly is about 30 min.

I wouldn't say the actual train itself is a nightmare - the service is great. There's always loads of standing space. OK, you wont get a seat but its far from crowded.

Yes the Rush/Lusk car park is a nightmare. You would be hard pushed to get parking after 7.40. But many get the bus to the train station as it's still only a short journey from the village [Rush] - but it's possibly an extra expense you dont want.

However - there is approved PP for another 190 parking spots divided between the Rush & Lusk side. Plus the station is getting an overhaul - new waiting area and facilities.

Then again maybe you dont even need the train station at all ;)

I have to be honest Rush is a great place to live, however I have lived here all my life, and I have found that the traffic situation is only getting worse, because we have a bad road system in place. and the bus is a nightmare to get it really is and the train station, you will probably never get parking. The good thing is Rush has two lovely beahes and cliff walks, and does have to lovely restraunts and a variety of pubs

Back