What is PTSB free current account like?

G

gdollard

Hi folks,
I am reaching boiling point with both Ulster Bank and AIB. I am now looking at Permanent TSB. But before I jump I want to make sure I am not jumping from the pan into the fire!

For people who have this new free current a/c with PTSB - Does it do exactly what is says on the tin???

Cheers.

Dont have any trouble with them online, but if you have to call in they can be slow, in my experience.

If you can live with limited online banking and phone banking and have time to run into the branch for some things than yes, it is exactly what is says on the tin and the smallprint.

I love the no fee ATM's as I like to withdraw only small sums.

What I don't like is that online I can't do foreign transfers, transfers to my PTSB Visa card are treated as billpayment and can take up to 3 days. Payments to other people need to be set up via the phone before you can make them as billpayment online.

Visa card balance/available limit is not updated real time, only once a day.

Their contact center in in Ireland (if they ever swap to you know where I am running) and their agents are top of the class, friendly, helpfull and making you feel like a customer.

Their branch staff (in mine at least) is friendly, but sometimes you feel like a number (despite me having a lot of business with them).

Overall, for free you get a lot.

I'm very satisfied too. Internet banking is adequate. Only had one problem, and that was that direct debit set up charges were charged to the account. Rang up my branch and they refunded the amount immediately.
Staff have always been very friendly and polite, so all in all I'm very happy.

Could not agree more I 've saved approx 150 Euro over past year,staff are very helpful,phone support good,makes a change not to be charged for my wages going into my AIB account...

Great never had a problem with my a/c since I set it up two years ago go for it and keep it in credit.

How does it compare to the NIB free account?

I thought I read (probably here on AAM!) that NIB's [broken link removed] has more items attracting zero transaction charges that PTSB.

Anyone here [broken link removed]to NIB?

(The PTSB Internet Banking thread appears to suggest that NIB's Internet offering is better in that it allows you to set up third party payments yourself rather than having to ring customer service.)

Great posts as I am preparing to take the jump for PTSB myself (BOI is just too expensive). The only downside, I heard from their online 'dedicated switch team' is that statements are only issued on a quarterly basis. I have had dealings with PTSB agency staff before and I have to agree with 'kkontour' about service being occasionally slow.

Another satisfied customer here. Both my husband and I were in BOI in the last 4 years. Got tired of paying bank charges. ANd they send me nasty letters for my OD transactions (even at EUR2.00 OD only). One time when I was on holiday, they cancelled all my direct debits without even informing me. Got fed up and immediately moved to PTSB.

I'ts been 6 months. I do most of my transaction online. I use Laser payment a lot. I don't like carrying cash.

But the PTSB branch services (Blackrock) is very slow compare to BOI. Very limited staff. I dread going to the bank. Also, money transfer to overseas (US) is very expensive. A standard rate of EUR35, compare to BOI which is only approx EUR16 for USD300 transfer. I still retain my BOI for overseas money transer though.
My current mortgage is with PTSB as well. But thinking of moving to NIB for remortgaging.

Back