What is best and efficient heating system?

MoiMoi

Hi
I am currently using storage heating and have electric immersion. Currently thinking to change due to high bills? I was wondering if anyone has done this before? what is the best heating and efficient system out there at the moment to heat the house and water?
thx

[broken link removed] site has fuel cost comparisons. Storage heating is right up there at the more expensive end of the scale.

You'll need to factor in installation costs for a new heating system and work out the pay-back period to see if it makes sense in your situation. The size of your house, layout and construction will all play a part in determining what those costs are.

Basically, try to break each fuel source into cost per kwh and then add in efficiency of heat converter (boiler).

Natural Gas: approx 6.5 cents per kwh (extra saving from benefit of modulating boiler as it will modulate flame to suit demand, i.e. turns flame to low flame when system gets hot or if system is zoned and only one zone is on)
Boiler efficiency (Seasonal approx 90 - 91% / Combustion efficiency approx upto 99%)

LPG (own storage tank): approx 9.1 cents per kwh (same benefit as Nat Gas boiler)
Boiler efficiency (Seasonal approx 90 - 91% / Combustion efficiency approx upto 99%)

Kerosene: approx 9.5 cents per kwh (no modulation so boiler will produce more kw than is required & wastes fuel)
Boiler efficiency (Seasonal approx 93 - 97% / Combustion efficiency approx upto 99%)

Electricity: approx 20 cents per kwh (100% efficient)

Solid fuel is very difficult to assess, due to moisture content, varying quality, varying wood types, etc.

Back