What is average family shop for 4 all over 18

2 Adults, 4 kids (from 12 to 6) .....1 big shop a week in Lidl/Aldi and a couple of top ups in local Tesco express. €170 a week

2 adults, 2 children (not teens) about 210 to 230 a week. No alcohol, cook meals from scratch but buy whatever we fancy. Milk is delivered separately and we’d buy bread once or twice separately.

Around 200 per week including booze. Family of four (2 adults 2 kids). Shop weekly mainly LIDL and Tesco as these are near.

Curious how much of the 200E is alcohol as looking for food shop information not alcohol

None. My original post would have been clearer had I worded it as follows: “About €200 per week, including fish but excluding alcohol.

Two adults, two young kids and we spent €11,440 in 2020 in grocery stores, so €220 a week. That figure includes a limited amount of alcohol. All spend is tracked and includes misc. items in convenience stores, trips to M&S etc.

When I had to, when money was tight, I would quite easily get out of Lidl for €80 a week for a family of one adult and 4 children. That includes toiletries etc.
I now spend a net €160 a week in Dunnes (after the 20% off vouchers).

That doesn't include alcohol. I don't drink much but have expensive taste; wine under €15 a bottle is strictly for cooking, whiskey (the "e" is important) needs to be 18 years old and beers need to be of the Craft variety.

Family of 2 adults and 3 kids (under 10 yrs)....averages approx €230 per week over course of a year. Includes most toiletries, cleaning products and some very limited alcohol (2 bottles beer per week). Mix of Lidl and an overpriced SV shop.

There is no right answer to this question, if I had to, and when I had to, I could live frugally (spaghetti hoops on toast being a dinner !) . I consider food one of the joys of life and I haven't a notion of living frugally. The older I get and particularly due to Covid that is my view. Our actual food bill is higher due to Covid but we are saving a fortune on dining out. And we dined out very well indeed.

Maybe a better question should be how much can I get the food bill down to, for those needing to do so. Without feeling like the family are hard done by.

Back