What information do you request from prospective tenants?

Meath Lady

I am about to advertise a property on Daft and have been in the fortunate position not to have had the house vacant in many years, so I am wondering what do you usually ask people to bring with them when viewing a house. Original contact will be by e mail again something I have never done in the past as generally would vet tenants on their phonecall.
Any information appreciated. Thanks in advance

You need to check rental history and speak to previous landlord - don't just take written reference. Many landlords also look for a reference from the prospective tenant's employer - this is in order to verify that they are employed and can afford the rent. You also need to check if they are going to try and claim HAP , RAS etc. as many of those schemes have cash limits depending on number of people in family and location of property - from your point of view this needs to be sorted before you commit to any tenancy.

I would look for definite proof of ID, passport or drivers licence.

I would like to get a guarantee for the rent from someone of means

Good advice I got from an agent years ago was to look not so much for someone with a high income, but for someone on a good career track. Someone whose income is rising will not have problems paying rent.

He also said families aren't necessarily as good an option as they seem. Two incomes can become one, especially if kids arrive, and this can cause financial issues.

I didn't think you were allowed to ask if they were HAP or RAS??? Can you ask this?

I would also ask for copies of bank statements, showing rent paid. This may seem to some as an invasion of privacy but all other items can be blacked out and it just shows if someone is in the habit of paying their rent and paying it on time.

Back