What info can we get from a smart meter

• Not fail-proof - Some smart meter customers in the UK have also reported issues with faulty meters contributing to an increase in their bills.
This is the most interesting line in the disputed link as far as I am concerned.
Electronics are great when they work but are subject to software glitches and errors caused by electrical fields or radio interference.

How reliable will a ten or twenty year old smart meter be?

I would have more confidence in a twenty year old spinning disc meter than an electronic meter of similar age.

What is the plan to update and replace these smart meters in the future.
Will it be every five, ten, twenty years.......

This post is missing the point entirely of course as my complaint is not about AAM,
Hold on, I said that Groucho's post was fine here because it didn't break any rules. Your objection seems to be that a commercial website is run on a commercial basis. If you have issues with that site or the advice they offer, perhaps you should take it up with them.

The post misses the point of my issue with the promotion of the site as objective. Posts like the one quoted above are beginning to verge on repeated, unacceptable behaviour.
If you find them unacceptable, you should perhaps give AAM a miss.

It seems to be the case that if you are an Electric Ireland customer you can get detailed information on usage across appliances etc via a smart meter plan.
But if you are with Energia or another provider, you cannot get this information. Have I got that right?

you can get detailed information on usage across appliances
No supplier can tell you what appliances are using, they will just see total usage.

You can buy small energy monitors that you can monitor individual appliances with of that is really of interest.

Why does all the smart meter advertising show a charts with "Television", "Washing machine" etc? I don't see how on earth that's even possible. As far as I'm aware there's not even the option for the meter to communicate via wifi, bluetooth or anything. Literally the only thing smart about it, is that it sends a one way signal via SMS to tell your current meter reading.
Here's an example: https://www.electricireland.ie/smart-meters/home-electric-plus

I've been beating this drum for ages and I've noticed the ads have changed to include what you can get "with an appropriate smart meter plan". That wording never featured in the original ads and now that I have my own smart meter installed, I can state categorically that both @Leo and @tinymouse are correct. These so-called smart meters are pretty dumb apart from sending a few numbers to the mother-ship periodically.

If anyone is interested in doing a bit of experimentation with dumb meter readings, have a look at this little spreadsheet
https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threa...ulating-electricity-bills.168218/post-1783683

mathepac

Last edited:
I suspect they will use AI and maybe a questionaire to help them predict which appliances are being used. E.g. a 300w power increase that regularly starts between 3-9pm and dissapears between 10pm and 3am is most likely a television.

A 2-10kwh load that runs regularly at night for hours and steps down before it finishes, and occasionally is seen at day time is probably an ev.

A solid 8 or 9 kWh for y minutes regularly coming on but for a short time is probably an electric shower.

A 3kw for 30mins coming on at the same time every day is probably your immersion.

3kw coming on regularly but only lasting a few minutes is probably your kettle.

Using the electrical consumption signature of devices and their usuage over time can probably get you good results towards identifying devices.

I think it takes a period of testing before the SMART meter reading submitted by the meter becomes operational. I seem to recall getting a text or e-mail about 40 days after installation saying the meter was not live.

Non-Smart plan so the reading should be utilised irrespective of plan

I got my new electric bill today with my shiny new smart meter.
IT WAS ESTIMATED!!!

Same happened to my (90 year old) Mother-in-law today.

The ONLY reason that she agreed to having a Smart meter installed is so she would stop receiving estimated bills as she was incapable of reading her old meter which was in a high, inaccessible location. And now it turns out that - from a customer perspective - the squeaky new "smart" meter is every bit as dumb as the old one was. Someone somewhere (probably in the CER's Office) needs a good kicking for this nonsense.

I think you also have to sign up to one of the smart meter plans...but be careful what you sign up for as you cannot come off a smart plan
Does this mean that you can never come off a smart plan?

Or if you are on a smart plan and you switch to another provider, can you pick a non-smart plan again at that point?

Does this mean that you can never come off a smart plan?

Or if you are on a smart plan and you switch to another provider, can you pick a non-smart plan again at that point?

@Paul F

Yes you can never come off a smart plan.

Thought the same as you and when I was speaking to Bord Gais about moving from El Irl. They confirmed that even if I did move I would have to stay on a Smart plan i.e. no going back! I think they confirm it through the MPRN.

Thanks. That's a pretty stupid policy. It narrows the customer's choices.

Definitely a stupid policy especially when the Smart plans appear to be dearer. Talk about getting people's backs up especially at a time when bills are out of control. I often wonder if before this winter is over people will be out protesting like they were for water meters. There's nearly a fear element to it rather than annoyance.

I can see where they are coming from in trying to get people to watch their usage on a timed basis but I'm not a fan of running machines at night especially if people set them for when they are asleep. I feel it is a fire risk.

Definitely a stupid policy especially when the Smart plans appear to be dearer. I can see where they are coming from in trying to get people to watch their usage on a timed basis
A lot of people will essentially be tricked into switching to smart plans with no way to go back. And the people who realise that smart plans are (currently) dearer will stay away from them, and so the benefits in terms of reduced emissions and lower strain on the grid won't accrue.

The uptake is very low and it seems to be very difficult to quantify the potential savings.

Definitely a stupid policy especially when the Smart plans appear to be dearer. Talk about getting people's backs up especially at a time when bills are out of control. I often wonder if before this winter is over people will be out protesting like they were for water meters. There's nearly a fear element to it rather than annoyance.

I can see where they are coming from in trying to get people to watch their usage on a timed basis but I'm not a fan of running machines at night especially if people set them for when they are asleep. I feel it is a fire risk.
I agree with your comparison with the water meters , this is far worse actually in my opinion. People must be absolutely burnt out with anger at this stage if they are not protesting because this “ smart electricity meter “ no turning back “ policy is an absolute disgrace and an insult to the average person’s intelligence.

Last edited:
I got my Gas bill today from Electric Ireland.....total for 50 days €30. This is an estimated bill. This amount is nowhere near the amounts of any of my previous bills, so where did they get the "estimated" figure from?

Hang on a sec. Didn't they announce a large price increase recently. So, the cost of the gas that I have been really using over the last 50 days will be charged at the higher rate when it is included in my next bill.

In the current climate has anyone out there had a gas bill for 50 days that cost €30? (We cook on gas).

But why on earth don't you send in your own readings? Your meter, your money - so take ownership of it!

I have to agree. It's the old "I got no reminder for my TV/dog licence, my motor-tax/ car/house insurance, etc" syndrome.

I asked our provider BGE and was told I can only see info if I move to a smart tarrif

I would like to just see the info first

That seems fundamentally wrong, as it implies that you consent to the installation of the smart meter, the energy supplier gets the info. from it, but won't share it with you, unless you agree to a certain price plan.

Perhaps everyone should be refusing to allow smart meters be installed?

I also think that people should be complaining to Minister Eamon Ryan about this carry on.

Back