What has "No Frontiers" got against Ryanair.

Is No Frontiers a kind of sponsored show with product placements helping to pay for the so called "entertainment".

If so then Im sure Mick O'Leary is in a good position to buy some placement on the show if he wishes just like his other airline in which RA has a significant holding.

Another thing that I have noticed is that they give prices out for flights direct from London for example and then state you can get an Aer Lingus flight to London for €xx. No mention of connecting flights; usually cheaper and your bags are checked the whole way through to your final destination. For example they said you can fly to Australia with British Airways from Heathrow and then buy separate flights Dublin to Heathrow with Aer Lingus. There is a code-share agreement between these airlines so why not give the connecting flight price.

I priced flights Dublin to Sydney connecting via LHR in May on the BA website €1018
I then priced separate flights on BA and Aer Lingus websites: £834 (€920) + €86 (cheapest possible flights DUB-LHR) + €24 baggage (I am sure you wouldn't be flying to Australia with just hand luggage) = €1030

I know that €12 is not really a big deal when spending over €1000 on a flight but you also don't have to worry about picking up your bag at Heathrow, checking in again at the BA desk (and the queues can be long, I have been there but not in the new T5 yet so I can't comment on that).

Looks like this thread got noticed! This very issue was featured in the Irish Mail on Sunday yesterday.

The website certainly has no issue about listing Ryanair.

A few examples here:

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

Have they been updated since or have they always been there, I couldnt see those when i searched after the opening of this post?

Looks like this thread got noticed! This very issue was featured in the Irish Mail on Sunday yesterday.

I have also noticed questions that are asked on AAM about travel often turn up in the Irish Independent's Saturday travel supplement a few weeks later with just a slight twist. Strange.

I have also noticed questions that are asked on AAM about travel often turn up in the Irish Independent's Saturday travel supplement a few weeks later with just a slight twist. Strange.

I don't think of myself as an old cynic, but again I enter this thread to ask people to look at the world as it really is. Where do journalists get their stories? One of their resources is the internet, and some journalists do a tour of websites every day as "research". It's not unreasonable, provided they use such sources in a sensible way.

In reply to Caveat, I love Ryanair and use them whenever possible. Yes I've heard the horror stories, but I've never experienced anything untoward with them. I've been using them since the time that the planes seemed to be held together with coats of paint - over 15 years, and in all that time, there was only once that I couldn't travel, and that was for safety reasons, high winds. The sooner they take over Aer Lingus the better.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with on No Frontiers next Sunday when they feature Sardinia. Afaik, Ryanair flies to Sardinia from Dublin but Aer Fungus does not.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with on No Frontiers next Sunday when they feature Sardinia. Afaik, Ryanair flies to Sardinia from Dublin but Aer Fungus does not.

"We flew to Sardinia complimetary with.. wait for it... ryanair!" This whole thread is flawed ;)

I noticed the use of 'complimentary' and 'courtesy' this evening is this new on this show?

I agree. Everything was "courtesy of" and "complimentary" on No Frontiers tonight. And Ryanair even got a mention! I thought they might suggest flying with Aer Lingus to Rome and getting the ferry over to Sardinia :D

I'm sure it's all just a coincidence though :rolleyes:

I noticed the use of 'complimentary' and 'courtesy' this evening is this new on this show?

Definitely new. I wonder why they are now stating that their flights were complimentary or courtesy of? Why was this bit always hidden?

I too have noticed that with their bias towards Aer Lingus.
I had to laugh when 2 weeks ago the feature on Co Clare was advising to fly from Dublin to Shannon and hire a car from there. Its an Irish show, aired on RTE, most people would drive their own car if visiting Co Clare, and what about people who don't live in Dublin, are they going to drive to Dublin and then fly to Clare!! don't think so!

Definitely new. I wonder why they are now stating that their flights were complimentary or courtesy of? Why was this bit always hidden?

I don't think it was ever hidden - most travel programmes pay for half/get freebies for the rest and the relevant companies are credited appropriately.

I don't think it was ever hidden -

It was. They never mentioned it at the end of the programme until this thread started.

I thought that the piece on Sardinia was poor. They showed two of the same street scenes twice during the programme. Why travel all the way there and not take enough film of the area.

Back